People only mode a joke

Is this mode on the dashboard for a joke? I have this set but get motion notifications everytime a cat goes by, now I know some cats are a decent size but the size of a human?? I don’t think so.
Why does this feature not do as stated?

1 Like

Hi @GaryD. This might be do how your Doorbell is mounted, the settings on your Doorbell, or other environmental factors. I would suggest checking out Caitlyns guide to Optimizing Motion Detection here to see if making a few adjustments can improve this feature for you.

If you’ve tried these suggestions to no avail, you can reach out to our support team for the next best steps. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Thank you for your reply.
My doorbell is mounted as per recommendations, the settings are fine and how do environmental factors affect your product not being able to tell the difference between a human and a cat?
I look forward to your reply.

Hi @GaryD. Our Ring Video Doorbell use a passive infrared sensor, along with our Advanced Motion Detection, to detect motion and operate the People Only Mode. This uses the relative size of the object, and the ambient temperatures around the object, to determine if there is a person. For example, from the view of your camera, a human at 30 ft away can appear to be the same size as a cat at 5 ft away. This is all relative to the way your settings on the doorbell are configured. I hope this information helps and if you need any assistance to help you getting this feature to work for you environment, our support team is happy to help. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

My ring is unable to distinguish between a deer and a person! When it says a person is detected I don’t see anything because its in my woods. Why doesn’t the video highlight the person? Video quality is so bad I can’t see anything. The ring should show me what it detects!