Outdoor siren power and battery combo

Hi, I have just received the siren and in advance bought the optional doorbell battery pack and 6M power adapter. Does the power adapter keep the battery pack charged? Do I remove the D type batteries that came with it or leave them as an additional source. Do I need to take the optional battery pack off to charge it in six months to maintain a backup supply?
The supplied instructions and online info isn’t clear about the configuration when using the rechargeable batteries and a power adapter combo.
Thanks I advance to anyone that knows.
(Can’t install it yet as waiting for the alarm gen 2 system to release at the end of April, I’ve pre ordered a full system worth for the house.)

2 Likes

Hi @Steff71. This Help Center article here has some great information on configuring the power options available for the Outdoor Siren. With the D batteries installed, you can expect around ~3 years of battery life. This, of course, is dependent on the amount of use and the temperature where the Outdoor Siren is installed. I hope this information helps!

1 Like

Hi steff, none of the instructions that come with the siren covers the power supply charging the battery except for the solar panel option. I had a chat with a Ring online advisor this afternoon, they assured me that if the unit is hardwired it will charge the battery (if you have fitted the optional battery pack) and will power the dusk to dawn feature. TBH if you’re not bothered about the dusk to dawn feature, the D cells should suffice for a considerable time. Hope this helps?

1 Like

I have the same question - if the siren is hardwired will that charge the quick release battery pack (that you additionally buy) meaning that the battery can stay in long term, also meaning that the D batteries can be removed? I think that is what happens with the door bells - that the hardwired connection trickle charges the quick release battery. It’s very damp where I live and I expect the D batteries would leak after a period of time

Steff: forgot to mention, you can use the dusk to dawn led if you fit the quick release battery and fully charge it first.

I set up the outdoor ring siren today and can comfirm that the dusk until dawn LED works with the rechargeable quick release battery and hardwiring (without the D batteries in it):+1:

1 Like

Thank you, @Mikebull! For any other neighbors with this same question, you must add the Quick Release Battery Pack to use the Solar Panel, or optionally can be added when hardwired to cover all eventualities. Both options will keep the Battery Pack charged. When you add an additional power source, Outdoor Siren will use this for power, and keep the D Batteries as a backup power source. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

This post almost answered my problem about power supply for the siren.
As I understand it:
The power adapter will keep the rechargeable battery pack trickle charged. This does not need to be removed from the siren and charged indoors?
The Dusk Dawn feature needs two power supplies and this can be met by the power adapter and the rechargeable battery pack without the D batteries?
The D batteries can be removed or MUST they be removed if I use the power adapter and rechargeable battery?

I have written in another post that the polarity of the adapter cables cannot be determined. They are not colour coded. This is awful Ring.

Hi neighbors. You can find more information regarding the power sources for the Outdoor Siren in our Help Center here. The Dusk to Dawn light setting requires the use of two power sources. For example, you can utilize the Quick Release Battery Pack and the Plug-In Adapter, which will allow you to use the Dusk to Dawn light setting. The Plug-In Adapter provides continuous power, so the Quick Release Battery Pack would only be used in the instance that the Plug-In Adapter becomes disconnected from the Outdoor Siren.

If you’re running into any installation trouble, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support. The Ring Community is a public forum where we can help with general troubleshooting tips and tricks, but our support team is still available for more in-depth questions or concerns.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.