Orbs floating by doorbell cam

Hi neighbors! I know there has been quite a bit of back and forth between what these orbs are and I wanted to share a bit more information on what you are seeing.

The orbs you see are in fact bugs, such as a small clover mite or spider, crawling over the lens of your device or a few flying items (such as dust) bunched together at a close distance to the lens of your device.

Similar to putting your finger directly underneath the camera on your phone, you’ll see your finger appear fuzzy and out of focus - this is due to the focal point of your finger in comparison to the lens. You’ll also notice background items to be clear - similar to the videos you have been sharing.

The reason why you may receive a motion alert is because prior to walking over the lens, the item has passed in front of 1,2 or all 3 of the PIR (Passive Infrared Sensors). These sensors detect “heat” and as an object closer is MUCH larger than an object farther away that heat appears very large to the sensor.

Some of you have been saying that these can not be bugs due to cold weather – your device does throw off both heat and light (infrared, reflections of the lens, etc) and bugs will definitely be attracted to this - no matter the season!

I hope this helps explain the ‘fuzzy orb’ you sometimes see at night. We will now be accepting this post as an accepted solution. Thank you!

2 Likes