Ring Alarm

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring Alarm and Ring Alarm Pro.
U
User Solution
Only trigger alarm from motion detectors after 2 consecutive detections to prevent false alarm
motion-detector
troubleshooting

Hello,

I am regularly getting false alarms triggered by motion dectors. I tried updating the sensitivity to medium and then low, to no avail. After discussing with tech support, the conclusion is that the false detections are probably due to heat or sunlight. This is happening with several of my sensors, so it’s not just a matter of moving one single sensor.

One way to fix this is to move all the sensors to places where there is neither heat nor sunlight, which is rather restrictive.

Another way would be to alter the code so that motion dectors only trigger alarms when 2 or more motions have been detected successively (within a few seconds let’s say). All the false alarms I have ever received were triggered by one single isolated “fake” motion detected, followed by nothing. They would all be eliminated by that simple technique.
If an actual intruder were to come in my house, he would always trigger 2 or more motion detections (assuming he stays more than a few seconds which seems realistic) and would therefore be detected as intended.

This could be a setting in the app, so that the default behaviour would still be to trigger the alarm after 1 detection, but the user can decide to change it to 2 detections.

Thank you for considering implementing that idea, or another version of it allowing to eliminate false detections.

Kind regards

02-04-2024 05:00:59

Responses (2)

T
User Solution

Hi @user80127. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature!

04-04-2024 02:17:02

S

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.

04-05-2024 02:17:23

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User