No video from battery stickup cam

I have a total of three battery stick up cams, all run by solar panels. However, one of them will no longer let me access the live view using both the ring app or rapid ring app. Any motion events recorded by the camera are just black. Power status good, ignal strength RSSI -47 (good), and firmware up to date.

When I try live view in the Ring app, it just spins at ‘Activating Device…’. With the Rapid Ring app it changes to ‘Establishing session…’ and then says my wifi network may be blocking live view. I have tried both on my wireless network and over cellular data.

I’m having no issues with the other two cameras.

Hey @Rdub. Please try resetting the device and reconnecting it to see if this helps! For the reset, you will press and hold the setup button for 20 seconds. After this reset, walk through the steps found in this Help Center Article here to reconnect it in the Device Health page. Let me know how the camera is after the fact!

@Rdub wrote:

I have a total of three battery stick up cams . . . one of them will no longer let me access the live view using both the ring app or rapid ring app. Any motion events recorded by the camera are just black . . . signal strength RSSI -47 (good), and firmware up to date . . . it just spins at ‘Activating Device…’. With the Rapid Ring app it changes to ‘Establishing session…’ and then says my wifi network may be blocking live view. I have tried both on my wireless network and over cellular data. I’m having no issues with the other two cameras.

Most “Live View” issues are due to insufficient Wi-Fi. Either the cameras simply won’t connect to “Live View”, or they eventually do connect but display or record a black screen. Wi-Fi issues are frequently the cause of most video problems. Video requires a much higher Wi-Fi data-stream connection, unlike receiving Motion Notifications. And, even with a good (low) RSSI signal number, a strong signal connection doesn’t necessarily mean a good connection. If possible, temporarily move your malfunctioning cam close to your router to see if it will connect.

With a Poor (high #) RSSI signal strength number (displayed on “Device Health”) and if you cannot reduce the distance between your devices and router (to improve Wi-Fi reception), you may need a Wi-Fi ‘repeater’ device positioned about halfway between your devices and router. Additionally, the Ring Chime Pro has a repeater to help bridge the signal distance issues.

If you have a good RSSI, then you should concentrate your trouble-shooting efforts with your Wi-Fi router. Check out one of the relies from this link by @DragonDave

https://community.ring.com/t5/Security-Cams/Problems-getting-live-view-working/m-p/30694/highlight/t…

You could have multiple Wi-Fi devices competing with your camera for a good streaming connection. Here is an additional link to trouble-shoot the “Blackness” and it includes router adjustments:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360023439472-Fixing-Black-Video-Errors-by-Adjusting-Your-…

And if your issues continue, you should call Ring Support by telephone:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Hopefully this might help you. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Tried resetting the camera and setting it up again and I get the same results. The camera connects and health is all good, but it can’t connect to video and the motion events are black.

Thanks for the info - resetting did nothing for me and I don’t believe it’s a wireless issue. I have tried forcing it to connect to two different access points on my mesh system and got the same behavior on both. I made sure to try one access point that has a different, working, camera on it and the behavior hasn’t changed.

I will try calling support tomorrow.

Thanks

1 Like

I’m having a similar problem. Two of my cameras (both stick up) have crapped out on me. I tried doing the reset procedure on both cameras multiple times but after doing that it just bricked the cameras. They do not respond anymore.

I’ve same problem. I’ve reset device numerous times, placed stickup cam next to my router. Battery shows 94%, wifi strength looks good at RSSI-7. Another ring cam at same time able to stream fine within same home, wifi, my phone have the ring app. Firmware shows “Up to Date”. Last health check is current to few min ago.

I can hear it make a CLICK sound when I trigger motion by walking front of it or when I select live view. I also see red led light up when it detects motion. I also see alert on my phone upon motion.

However, all video recorded is blank dark screen and level view simply times out and never connects. Even when I follow an alert by clicking on it, I never see a video or able to connect.

RING, I THINK OWE AN EXPLANATION rather than forcing folks to call support. So many folks can’t be having a common coincidental issue.

Same issues here. Tried reinstalling but that didn’t help. I get motion alerts but no videos or live view available.

Hi @Bsilva16. Do you have an active Ring Protect Plan? What is the RSSI for your device? In order to be able to review your videos you’ll need an active Ring Protect Plan subscription. To ensure that your camera is recording, the RSSI needs to be within a useable range. :slightly_smiling_face:

Same exact issue here…3 cams, solar powered stick up cam video/live view stopped working. Performed full reset. Camera connects fine and has good connectivity. Just. No. Video. Frustrating

Hi @Bud35fb. If the Live View is not loading, it is typically either signal related or due to network settings. Please check the following:

• Ensure your Ring app and phone’s operating software are fully updated to the latest versions available.
  • Check the signal strength reported on the Device Health page, and perform a wifi speed test to determine your upload and download speeds at the Camera location.
  • Review your router settings and make sure the ports and protocols used by Ring devices are open. If you aren’t sure how to check this, your internet service provider can assist.

The points listed above are usually what cause issues with the Live View not loading. If you’ve checked all of the above and you’re still experiencing the same concern, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.