No phone notifications when ringing doorbell

We just set up a Video Doorbell Gen 2. Everything seems to be set up correctly, but when we ring the doorbell it dings the bell in the house but does not send a notification to our phones.

I’ve set it up on my iPhone (17.1.2) and it is shared with two android phones. I enabled the physical chime and tested it through the app, which seemed to work fine.

It doesn’t even register a ring event in the history log. Other events work. Out of dozens of test rings it only registered 3 of them in the app last night. But it seems 90% of them didn’t see a notification.

We just paid for a subscription. Followed all the help docs, but they were not useful. The only thing that seems off is that although the device is hardwired, it shows the battery at 3% in red.

Is this normal? We want notifications every time the doorbell rings. Seems like the device may be defective?

Thanks!

Hi @radley47. The Video Doorbell (2nd Gen) is a battery operated Doorbell. Even though it is wired to an existing doorbell circuit, it is still powered off the battery. The doorbell circuit just provides a trickle charge to help extend the amount of time between charges.

I’d recommend fully charging the battery using the provided charging cable. It can take about 6-8 hours to fully charge the battery. Once that’s done, reboot the Doorbell and test it out by pressing the doorbell button. If it’s still not registering a ring, despite being powered and connected to wifi, please follow up with our support team for further assistance. You can also get in touch with our support team on Facebook @Ring.