No option to choose alert tone

I switched my Android phone to a Xiaomi Mi 11 Lite. In the Ring app, there is no option to choose or change an alert sound. It’s not a matter of the location of the alert sounds, they is simply no option in the app to choose an alert sound for either my doorbell or camera.

From the home screen of the app I choose: hamburger menu>devices>doorbell>device settings>notification settings>app alert tones>motion alerts (or ring alerts). There are four options on the motion alerts/ring alerts screen

Show notifications
 Allow floating notifications
 Vibration
 On the lock screen

There is no “Advanced” option like there is in my previous phone from which to choose or change the alert tone. I’m wondering if this is some kind of compatibility issue between the app and the phone.

Hi @ntotrr. This Community thread here highlights a similar concern. It looks like the neighbors in that thread have been able to find a solution. Let me know if it also works for you.

@Tom_Ring : thanks for the response. I read that thread prior to posting mine. The issue in that thread if the location of the sound files. My issue is that the option to choose an alert sound is not in the app, it is completely missing. On my older phone, which I have to my wife ( a OnePlus 7 Pro), the option to choose an alert sound is under “advanced” in the app. On my phone, it’s not there - there is no “advanced” to tap in the app

Hey @ntotrr. Try following the troubleshooting steps in this Help Center article here. If you’ve tried this to no avail, you may have to contact our support team to look into this with you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

Thanks for your second response. I did go through the troubleshooting steps to no avail. I’ll have to call support again - I called days ago and after not solving the issue, the support rep told me they would call back but that never happened.

1 Like

Wanted to post an update: when I first searched the community postings, I missed one that indicated that using an app “Hidden Settings For MIUI” would allow me to enable sound on the Ring app. For some reason, they are not enabled by default by the OS. Sure enough, that solved the issue but, unfortunately, only for a short time. I was able to select my sound notifications after enabling the agreement hidden setting but after the phone was rebooted one day, the alert tones no longer sound. I had the same issue with the Google Messaging app if I changed sound alert from the default one. After a reboot, no more sound alerts. I guess that this version of the MIUI skin Xiaomi used is simply buggy.