No motion detection on my Ring camera?

I just got our first Ring camera… works very nicely, but apparently this one does not include motion detection?? The description is:
“Ring Stick Up Cam Battery HD security camera with custom privacy controls”…
I’m a little disappointed; I really want motion detection. Is that something I can add on afterwards?? Or did I just get the wrong camera??

Update on this issue:
This device does have motion detection, and it is enabled -
My problem was that I tried testing it through the window, and motion detection apparently does not work through the window…

Okay, nope, motion detection does not work outside.
I have Motion Alerts and Motion Detection both enabled on this camera; camera is in Home mode, though I’m not sure what that means…
Push Notifications are enabled. I am interacting with the camera via my web browser Firefox, on Windows 10 Pro.

I mounted the camera on a tree in our front yard, facing the patio, which is about 12’ from the camera…
When someone steps out on the patio, or walks up the walkway, or even walks up to the camera, it does not detect motion.

I can click on Go Live, and it captures video just fine… but it won’t trigger on movement, at all…

What am I missing???

Battery level is 92%

1 Like

Update: I moved the camera much closer to the door, and now it is triggering when it sees movement… I’m guessing that the problem at that first location, even though it was only about 10’ from the door, was a visibility issue; first, there was a bush partially blocking the view of the patio, and also the patio is in shadow, relative to the rest of the field…

Later notes:
Yeah, okay, I get it now… some fiddling around with positioning, and then testing, is making things clear to me… A few more details in the Quick Start guide, or maybe a Beginner’s FAQ, would have shortened the learning curve, but I understand how the device is used now…

2 Likes