No more Ring Desktop

Hi neighbors, we understand your frustration and appreciate your feedback. You can now access Live View from your Ring.com account through your supported web browser. Depending on what device you have, this feature update allows you to use two-way talk, enable sound, activate your siren, or turn on the lights.

Once again, we do appreciate your feedback on the discontinuation of the Ring Desktop app and we will be sharing it with our team. Please see our Help Center article here for more info on this. Thank you for your understanding!

This is not a solution. The solution is to keep the windows app for those of us that use it.

9 Likes

I think this goes beyond disappointment; I’ve spent money on these Ring cams and they serve, in our household, a good purpose. I have mobility issues and we have an adult son who is disabled. The cameras allow me to not have to dash to the door to see who is there, and to check in on our son or even communicate with him during the day.

What is the actual logic behind discontinuing the desktop app? What, exactly, is the reasoning? “Everyone has a cell phone”? Well, yeah, maybe, but the fact remains that no one should be FORCED to walk around with a cell phone at all times in their own home just because Amazon/Ring think the desktop app is superfluous.

Not everyone who owns/uses a Ring camera is going to have the ease of constantly manipulating a cell phone to check who is at the door; some people have arthritis, some people see better when using a larger screen, and so on and so forth…

It’s no skin off a profitable company’s nose if I simply walk away and discontinue the service, but I will now own TWO cameras that aren’t even heavy enough to serve me as paperweights. The only other alternative is becoming a ■■■■■ to a cell phone, and I will not do that…it’s staying in the drawer where it usually sits until we have to take our son to a medical appointment.

9 Likes

Absolutely.

Live view isn’t live view if you have to open a browser window and go through 2FA to get to it. What you want to see is long gone by the time you’ve done that.

6 Likes

That is fine. You can access live view. But, what has happened to history. I have been trying to get to history for the last hour and it is not available. You are doing all of these things, but you are ruining a good system. I would have never purchased ring without the desktop feature. And you can’t ring.com work right. I am furious over this change.

3 Likes

Desktop app should not have dropped until ring.com has all similar functions. When will notifications be possible from RING.COM?

6 Likes

Thoroughly disgusted! I’m deaf and I work from home. I rely on the desktop app on my Mac to know when someone is approaching my home or when they ring my doorbell while I am working. One of the reasons I bought my ring cameras last year was because of its desktop app, now they’re taking it away for no reason? Now I have to have my browser open and in view to see someone approach? No popup notifications? This is inaccessible to the deaf. Unacceptable! I paid for my ring system that came with a desktop app, I want a refund!

8 Likes

WELL Looks like ‘‘good bye’’ ring and AMAZON , will a refund be on the cards for Elite door bell and elite stick up cams ?

3 Likes

Having the ability to view on my desktop is one of the BIGGEST reasons why I subscribed to RING! Now Ring is taking this away. I plan on quitting my subscription with Ring and go with WYZE or Panasonic. Yea, they do not have desktop, but they are cheaper and just as good. Taking this option away seriously diminishes the reason why I have subscription for 3 RING cams. I am so done with this BS! BTW, in the corporate world, FOR EVERY ONE COMPLAINT, there are at least 10 that go unheard!

6 Likes

I realise this is not up everyone’s avenue, but I’ve recently been playing around with ONVIF cameras for other reasons. I’ve learnt a lot about networking and the Surveillance Station software on my NAS.

The major drawback with Ring is that you are reliant on their cloud, and we all know you get outages and other problems on that which make the national press because the devices (the entire service) are simply offline until the problems are fixed. Even when all systems are normal, local WiFi might not be.

I’ve looked around, and ONVIF doorbell cameras are quite sparse right now, though they are coming. You can get them, but they are very basic just now. If someone came up with an ONVIF device that offered zone alarms and remote chimes out of the box, they’d corner the market instantly.

What I need is (in no particular order) a) instant live view, b) doorbell ring, c) proximity alert, d) remote chimes. On top of that, what I want is direct access to my data stream.

Discontinuing the app takes away even the partial direct access I have to my data. And given that Ring is flaky on the other things anyway as its mood takes it (you get an alert, and going to ‘live view’ gives a black screen or a ‘connecting’ hourglass) this is the straw that breaks the camel’s back.

If I have an ONVIF device, I have absolute control over my data.

Even if they backtrack on this, we now know where we stand (remember how ‘live view’ was cut from minutes to seconds without advance warning?)

I’ve just ordered some parts, and based on people building HD motion-sensitive wildlife cameras, I’m going to build a Raspberry Pi video doorbell of my own that I can control through my home network.

Jeez, the Ring works (more or less), but taking away the app means it works a lot less than more or less for most of us.

1 Like

It will not work with MacOs Safari. Why should I have to download an insecure browser just to use a feature? Its also not 'Solved"

5 Likes

You will also have to use chrome or edge, Safari does not work

1 Like

Just now is the reason that I love the app. Someone came and rang my doorbell, I got a notice instantly on my PC from the app. Clicked it and launched the live view in seconds to see who it was. I went and answered the door and got back to my desk BEFORE my phone even got the notice and Alexa showed the door. You want to market this for security, that turn around time without the desktop app IS NOT acceptable and especially for what I’m paying.

4 Likes

Not an option for many reasons, users browser resources, WAY slower and no notifications for instant live view. Notifications on the phone can take several minutes, it is instant with the desktop app.

4 Likes

You’re kidding??? :man_facepalming:t2:

@Tom_Ring This is not a solution.

I don’t think Ring understand our frustration but I do hope that Ring will reconsider this silly move and allow the desktop app to continue. I only encourage more people to keep making their views known.

If it doesn’t look like Ring will listen by 15th October, then I for one will be migrating to some other services - I’ve already told my brother not to bother purchasing Ring cameras for his home and try the competition instead (in effect becoming my guinea pig for me).

6 Likes

I too am already looking else where now because Ring is dropping the desktop app. That was the BIGGEST reason I subscribed with my 3 Ring cams as the others do not have this. I am furious about this. I was wondering do you know if my Alexa / Echo devices will continue to at least announce to me if my RING devices detect motion after I quit my subscription with Ring? I wish my Panasonic Hawk Cams would. My Wyze Cams do even though I do not have a subscription with them YET but now that Ring is dropping the Desktop app, I can go with WYZE and for cheaper. I LOVE the RING Desktop app to view on my 24 inch PC monitor . SO much easier to view, download and monitor! Now Ring will be no better than Wyze but WYZE is CHEAPER! And Panasonic, well a one time purchase and your done. Unfortunately, Panasonic Hawk does not work with IFTTT or notify you through Alexa when motion is detected. I am so upset with Ring right now.

4 Likes

As a person with mobility issues the notifications to my phone don’t help much due to the delay. People have often gone by the time I get the notification and can get to the door.

You don’t have that with the desktop app

I also have eyesight problems and viewing the notification on my phone is no where near ideal with the very small image.

You don’t have that with the desktop app.

Please reconsider this backward move Ring.

6 Likes

That does not solve other unique features of the desktop app. The most critical is the the naming format for video downloads from the desktop app:

[yyyy-mm-ddTtttttt]-cameraname-motiontype.mp4

It is the only download app that uses this file name. All others assign a cryptic numeric code that does nothing to describe the file contents. Unless this is moved to the web application then I have little hope of using downloaded files for documenting activity around my properties and storing them in a sane and rational library on my laptop/desktop.

The recent change to the web app (ring.com), where camera files are only observable from the “History” tab, and not the camera by camera lists available on the “Devices” tab, means I may never be able to use my sizeable investment in cameras as I have in the past. It is bug-ee, inconsistent and often locks up. This may be enough motivation to discontinue my Ring network and go to another product line. Nine devices on my network and now I won’t be able to discern one downloaded file from another unless I take the time to individually name them. An impossible task to keep up with the 20-40 files I download per day.

If you take away this app, then you MUST move the file naming convention for downloads to the WEB app!

2 Likes

Nope, Sorry Tom_Ring, this is not a solution. To be required to have the ring.com window open all of the time is unacceptable. How do I get a refund if this isn’t resolved?

And please give your chat function person Lene some retraining. Their snarky insulting comments were unhelpful and unprofessional.

5 Likes