No mid-range motion detection?!

We have had our doorbell installed for a number of months. Motion detection settings don’t work very well.

1. A person 8 feet from doorbell is detected.

2. A car moving 25mph on the street 40 feet away is detected.

3. Walking in the front yard in the 8-40 feet zone OR a slower moving car are NOT detected. No way to capture slower moving vehicles or people in our yard.

Have tried all of the settings with no success. Is there any technical support path to improve performance? Seems like a simple detection algorithm update with the reliable detection of cars at 40 feet. Quite disappointed at this point.

Hey @NanoAdam. The Doorbells should have reliable motion detection for up to 30 feet out from the Doorbell with the maximum settings. What Doorbell do you have and what are you Motion Zone settings set to? Feel free to include screenshots of this as well to help show the settings you have! In addition, a screenshot of what your Live View looks like would be most helpful as well!

Thanks, @Chelsea_Ring.

I have a first generation Ring doorbell.

Pictures of settings attached. Have tried maximum and medium ranges. Zones are middle and right (left zone is obscured by a holly tree). I don’t care about the frequency of notifications.

Latest recording was of 2 dogs running on the street – a much smaller object to identify than the cars that are detected at a 40 foot distance (whether it’s camera sensor image processing or other sensor processing).

I have tried two different mounting heights, two angles (vertical and about 10 degrees downward off vertical).

Have done a lot of walking/jogging in the yard trying to trigger to no avail. Hopefully you can figure something out! Thanks for following up!

@NanoAdam Thanks so much for getting back to me! When you tried the installation with a Wedge Kit, you had it downward, correct? That what it sounds like, and with the view of the current Live View, I recommend going back to a more downward look if you haven’t already still had the wedge installed. If you currently have the wedge installed, I recommend another one to help point it more down.

In the event you already have a couple extra wedges installed or there is no improved performance, please try changing your Motion Frequency to Frequent, as this will allow for more motion events to be recorded, which should hopefully help capture these mid-motion detection events. In addition, try your settings on MAX for the Motion Slider on the page following turning on/off the motion zones.

If you continue to still have this trouble on those settings, I highly encourage you to follow up with our support team on this, as there may be a concern with the Doorbell itself. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. Whatever you end up doing, even if you test how the motion is this weekend, let me know how it goes! :slight_smile: