No live view or motion alerts

For the last two days my new Ring doorbell will not give live view and motion alerts have stopped. It says there is a poor internet connection but that is rubbish. A speed test in location of door bell give 30-40 mbps. The bell is 10m away from router.

It is less than one month old and has worked fine until now. I have reset everything, removed device and reinstalled it but the same issue persists.

It is not the WiFi signal perhaps someone else has had this issue and can offer advice.

Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Hi there, @Paul_J! Usually when live view will not connect, and events are not logged in your event history for motion, this is an indicator that your Ring device might be offline. Good call on attempting to reinstall this. Please also ensure the battery is fully charged. When you performed a setup, or attempted to reconnect the Doorbell in the Ring app, did the setup/ reconnection complete?

Hi Marley,

Thank you for reply. Yes, it completes but is very glitchy during set up. Often it will not connect to the Ring network during the setup process and several attempts are required to complete setup.

I have 80 mbps inside and 30-40 mbps where the device is installed. I do not believe the problem is related to network speed so I am hesitant to buy a chime pro to discover that the problem is not resolved.

Battery is fully charged etc.

I don’t really do much about it until I am at home during daylight hours which will not be for a few days.

Until this recent issue I have been very pleased with the device performance. If I cannot resolve this I will have to return the product though.

Regards,
Paul

Thank you for the update, and for trying that step. Are you subscribed to a Protect Plan? If so, checking your event history for saved motion events will confirm the device is online and operating, but not connecting video or sending notifications. If you are not subscribed, please try disabling Advanced Motion Detection settings such People Only Mode, or even setting all your settings to default. If live view works with the most default settings, feel free to enable your desired settings and ensure the Ring app is performing as intended with each, on your mobile device.

I recommend also trying the Rapid Ring app to see if live view and/ or motion notifications work as intended with this app. Pease let us know if this helps. :slight_smile:

I have a similar problem. Before this happened all my motion-trigged videos were only 2 seconds long! And I don’t get black stripes on the time history if there is an outage.

Hi @Marley_Ring . Thank you again for the reply.

Yes I have the trial 30 day protect plan. There is no way I am continuing it whilst this problems persists. I am not paying for something that does not work.

I will try the steps you mentioned. However, if the product is not working how it should and I have to disable features that I want to use then I am not getting the product that was described.

There are is only one motion event today and there should have been many more. Also, pressing the bell does not trigger a notification.

The live view in Rapid Ring app does not work.

Like I said, I am hesitant to buy a chime pro when I have 30-40 mbps at the device location when carrying out a speed test.

The device has worked perfectly until last Friday. Nothing has changed here. Screenshot from speed test in device’s location yesterday.

What should I do?

Thank you in advance.

To anyone with ring app installed on your phone, please answer the following question: Is this problem affecting you? (yes or no).

My theory is that only a small fraction of people are affected. Otherwise, there would be many more messages here. Please let’s work together to find out what’s going on. Thanks to anyone who replies.

1 Like

I agree with the above. If this is a known issue then ring need to acknowledge it and give us a status update.

1 Like

Yes, from London. I can’t access live view at all. Also, it’s connected to Alexa and it won’t notify me when there’s movement. Which is very frustrating as I currently have some very sketchy low life’s hanging around and need to see if anything is going on around my property.

Hi there, neighbors! If you’ve tried the steps I mentioned previously in this thread to no avail, this may require a closer look by our support teams. At this time our team is investigating a matter pertaining to live view, as seen at Status.Ring.com, and the status banner in the Community.

If you feel as though you are impacted by this, our team is actively looking into this, and we will certainly keep you updated here or at status.Ring.com.

If you would like to reach out to support, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

“This seems to be affecting just the Ring App.”

I disagree. The problem occurs for SOME people (nobody else replied yes but you to my q) when they change batteries. This strongly suggests it is at least and perhaps mostly a firmware issue. I realize it is somewhat app-related too. I got the 2-second-motion-record problem first and only no-recording-on-phone problem only after a power cycle of my ring doorbell 2 which triggers a firmware update.

Thank you for the feedback, neighbors! You may have seen this update already, but we were having some reported troubles with the Ring app, including Live View and recording concerns, which have since been resolved, as according to status.ring.com. If you are continuing to have any concerns with your Ring devices or the functionality of them, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

The site now says it is fixed…it is not for me.

It is difficult for me to contact UK based support due to my work hours. Leave at 6am, home at 8pm. Next time I will be home is Sunday by which time the 30 day protect trial will have expired.

Like I said…I am not paying for it whilst it is not working.

I had a cheap smart bell before I bought the Ring but it was unreliable. I thought the upgrade to ring would be a big step up. The last five days it has performed badly, having worked extremely well up until that point.

So I now have another unreliable smart doorbell. It is now performing worse than my old one which cost much less than Ring.

1 Like

Me, too. All of the sudden in the last few days I only have a handfull of videos from motion, we are hardwired, and can get the clips every 15 seconds 24/7.

I have the same issue now. No motion detected nor live view. The wi-fi network is working fine. Speed test shows up at 55Mbps and down 10Mbps. RSSI is showing -55. Firmware shows up to date. It is hardwired, so it is showing100% for battery. Uninstalled/reinstall app, still no hope. It rings when the button is pushed. But no video and notification to the phone.

What is going on! I don’t think it is the app or my phone issue.

" If you are continuing to have any concerns with your Ring devices or the functionality of them, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available." I still don’t get prior videos from the app on my phone. So, per your instructions, I called them. The woman said they were aware of my problem. Probably because I called before? I asked why status.ring.com says everything was working if they were aware of my problem. She put me on hold for a few minutes and hung up, so I thought I’d go here for help. Nobody seems to have this problem except a few people.

I am starting to see more people have this issue from reading the forums.
The more we put on here and call them the more they will see that it’s becoming more common issue and hopefully will sort a fix out

Mine so far today is ok but i will keep you all updated and see if anyone else’s is the same

Status.ring.com is useless. I was on the phone with level 1 ring support and after 29 minutes with a checklist of dumb scripted questions got to level 2 ring support. Level 2 acknowledged the missing live view and timeline display issue of motion in 1 second. Then the website status showed an outage. Today all is gréen with 100% uptime. Looking for alternatives…

Uninstall the ring app on android. Download (do a google search) version 3.34.0 as I recall. Install it and it will resume picking up recordings on the timeline.

1 Like