No live view and stuck on activating device

Ha, same here. Did turn of the advanced motion, now live view works.

That was just for a short time. Stopped working again now. But the interesting part is that when I turn on advanced motion again, it starts to work. So it seams like this change is waking up the camera again.

Live view should work regardless of motion detection settings in my opinion. We’ll have to wait and see if the Ring team can enlighten us

Did anyone else experience a correlation with discontinuing their free trial? Ours was working fine until the introductory service expired, then the live feed would get stuck. It’s not our WiFi, we have a Giga Blast panoramic router that switches bands automatically, and it’s only 15 feet away from the doorbell.

I have active paid subscription but the problem still exists.

I have this exact same problem. The same week our trial expired, live view stopped working. Extremely frustrating and makes the doorbell basically useless.

I am having same issues everyone has posted about previously and attempted to use all fixes. Still NOTHING!

I have a BASIC membership through Ring for one device, our Ring Doorbell 2. Not worth this hassle. No issues with this up for 2 years until recently.

Updated our WiFi and have new iPhones but with all fixes posted everything should work but doesn’t.

How does Ring plan on resolving these continued issues??

Installed ring pro for a day everything worked fine but at night my mechanical door bell would randomly ring!!! And no one is at the door!! I open ring app and tried to check live view to see who is at the door… this is where I found out my live view is not working… stuck in activating device screen and when you go check the video it’s a black screen.

What I did to fix issue was I had to reboot my router or access point that your ring device was connected too. I have a mesh network so I rebooted all of the APs including main rotuer.

After that my live view was working again.
Hope this helps others.

Hi there, neighbors! Video connection concerns are often related to wifi, mobile device, or Ring app communication variables. The best first thing to check is your wifi signal strength, or RSSI, which can be found in the Device Health section of your Ring app. Check out our Community post about RSSI for tips on optimizing this signal strength.

On your mobile device, try testing video on wifi only, and then on data only, to see if either connection is more efficient. Please also ensure bluetooth and VPN is disabled. If you have not already, test out this experience using our Rapid Ring app, designed for the quickest access to live view.

For more wifi troubleshooting steps, please check out our Community live view troubleshooting article, or even try out what other neighbors have mentioned in the Community. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Same issue here, worked fine for a few weeks, now no live view, stuck at ‘activating device’, also paid for the ring basic plan.

I’m edging towards this too.

I have had the free trial with zero issues, had 3 months of paid with zero issues, and then as soon as I let my membership expire… boooom Doorbell issues with activating in the mornings every day!

Activated a new camera I had stored, this added another 30 day trial… no issues.
I did zero work on my wifi, device settings, placements…pretty much the only thing I did was add another pro trial to my account.

I’ve come to conclusion that it is in fact the membership.
Free = Cowboy Service
Pro = Best Service

I’ve not tried Basic yet.

Hi there, neighbors! We appreciate the continued feedback and updates on your experiences. For those having live video connection concerns, there are tons of solutions shared in this thread by other neighbors that might help you. My recent post also contains some great links to informative articles:

You are likely aware of our update regarding the Live View status from yesterday, in which this has been resolved as of Feb 10, 22:21 UTC, as mentioned at Status.Ring.com.

If live view connection concerns are persisting for you despite trying the solutions mentioned in this thread, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

What this person said is a good solution. If Marley wants to give generic copy/paste answers then what this person said is good. Call customer service, which will try to trouble shoot everything that you’ve probably already done and eventually send you a replacement. Once the replacement comes, sell it, take the money and switch to a different brand.

I myself did not change the internet or any other settings and ONLY started acting up when the subscription expired. So this does in fact have something to do with the subscription. Marley, oh where do I even begin? Just because some of these solutions (very few) worked, a majority of people are having problems with the doorbell AFTER the trial subscription. Why can’t you comprehend that it is related to the subscription. We all rather have you say that you will forward the information to your engineering team then say it’s not related or to try one of the solutions that is most likely not going to work.

Because of this, I am done with Ring.

This is not helpful, anything that you have posted have not been helpful…it’s obvious that most are experiencing problems AFTER their trial or paid subscription has ended.

I have this problem too, also my motion zones don’t work anymore. It’s funny how it worked perfect when I got the doorbell for Xmas for the first month. Then the exact day the free trial ran out I start halving problems. It isn’t an connection issue, no other device has problems. I have a bt mesh network with 1gbit line. Connection to live view is intermittent. Had anyone activated the subscription to see if the problems stop?

1 Like

It definitely hasn’t been resolved. This may not be the right thread, but I’m having these issues on both Android and (mostly) PC. The PC/Win 10 app in particular is an absolute joke.

I can’t begin to count the number of times I get the spinning ‘Activating Device’ on one of my two Stick Up cams, or even worse getting ‘Activating’ before the app stops and goes straight back to ‘Devices’ before randomly deciding to work after about 20 attempts. I’ve got about 480Mbps download, 25 up with no VPN, but get the same thing happening when I switch to LTE or 5G on the phones, so it’s not the connection. It also doesn’t always happen to both cameras, it’s usually one or the other, though sometimes both cameras work fine, and there’s no consistent factor that makes one camera show a live view at any given time. There’s almost never a time when we can 100% reliably activate either camera and see what’s going on, it’s always a crapshoot. Not only that, but my wife & I (who both monitor the account) happen to have bought both a new laptop and new (powerful) PC in the last 3 months as well as new smartphones. I also replaced our router about 5 months ago. None of these were bought with Ring in mind, but there have been no changes in the apps’ behaviour on the new devices.

We have had problem neighbours for the last 18 months (they’re actually the reason we bought these cams) and try to keep a video record of illegal incidents for both our landlord and local police but miss about 75% of things that happen because the Ring app continually lets us down. Not one of the ‘fixes’ in this thread have addressed the issues and honestly we’ve had better results just closing our eyes, spinning around 3 times and making a wish than we’ve had from the Ring app or any posted ‘fixes’.

The fact that we get the same issues whether on our home or phone’s networks and from PC to phones shows that it’s the Ring apps and/or cameras themselves that are the problem.

I am having the same issues. Ring system says everything is fine but no live view…

1 Like

Marley - THIS DOES NOT!! SOLVE THE PROBLEM.

1 Like

The day my initial free subscription ended, so did the live video and the notifications increased all the time. It’s like it became defective the day the free trial ended! Help!

Same issue here.

I actually got sent a replacement Spotlight Cam in relation to this live view problem, but low and behold, I am suffering the exact same issue with the new cam. Same story, good speed at camera, good rssi (41) etc, etc.

Like others have mentioned, this only started happening the past month or so. Before that, rock solid for almost 3 years.

So ultimately I’ve sent back a perfectly good camera that didn’t need a replacement (a cheaper replacement at that, looks like Ring dropped the silver metal accents since I bought my Spotlight Cam, the new one has more plastic and is lighter in weight)…

It would be great if someone from Ring would start taking this seriously and look deeper into this issue. There is an issue with the app (on both android and iPhone) ‘waking up’ the camera to record. Motion still works without issue, and notifications are instant.

Interesting, at least every time I tested this evening, the Windows 10 PC app does not seem to have this issue and Live View seemingly works, I’ll keep testing to see if this remains the case, but it certainly seems to point to a phone app issue…

1 Like