Night mode, no delay on alarm?

As far as I can tell, there are only 2 modes for the Ring alarm, Home and Away. On Away, the alarm activates immediately if a sensor is triggered. On Home it gives a delay so that you can disarm it before it activates the siren.

I would like a “ night” mode that is set up like “home” but will activate the alarm and siren if a door is opened. Right now, if someone were to break in while we’re sleeping, it would just give the delay. My old system had the night mode and we loved it. The only reason we switched to Ring is because Time Warner dismantled their Intelligent Home Security System.

4 Likes

Hey @Amahle1. Just wanted to help clear up any confusion about those two modes! The differences that we have between Home and Away mode are going to be the sensors monitored in those modes. If you go into your Ring app > Main Menu > Settings > Modes and then click on Home and Away each at a time, you will see that you can click on “sensors,” and then you will see the sensors that are monitored in this mode. By default, all contact sensors are monitored and no motion detectors are monitored in Home mode. For away mode, all sensors are monitored, no matter if it is a contact sensor or a motion sensor.

When it comes to the individual sensor, this is where you can change the configuration of if it will immediately set off the alarm when tripped, or if it will give you a delay. For example, if you go into the Ring app > Main Menu > Devices > Alarm Base Station > and then select any contact or motion sensor, this will take you to the profile for that sensor. On the profile, click on the gear icon at the top right. In that section, select Placement. You will have an option to change the placement for both contact sensors and motion detectors. The three options you pick from will all have different effects on how they will trigger your system, whether you are in Home or Away. If you select Main Door (for contact sensors) and Entryway (for motion detectors), this will give you a delay when the door is opened/motion is detected, giving you time to disarm your system. In comparison, Secondary Door/Window (for contact sensors) and Room (for motion detectors) will sound the alarm immediately when they are tripped.

1 Like

To get the night mode functionality that you want:

Open the Ring App and go to the Settings area. Select Modes, and Select the Home mode. In the Home mode, open the Devices and enable the sensors you want to instantly send an alarm. Note: by default Motion sensors are not enabled. I want my basement Motion to set off an alarm so I enable it, since there is no glass break for Ring.

Then back out of the devices to monitor in Home Mode and set the Delay Entry and Delay Exit times to 0 seconds.

That’s it. Works like a charm.
Hope this helps !

4 Likes

Can you please make an extra MODE like Night/Sleep mode.

Now i have to change evertything and i dont like it.

Thank you!

7 Likes

Hey @Patman1. As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this additional mode suggestion and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’ve been tempted to set entry delay to zero in home mode but I’m concerned that I might forget to disarm the system before I leave and trip an immediate alarm. So, not sure just yet but I’m glad it can be done.

@Caitlyn_Ring and @Chelsea_Ring perhaps instead of constantly sending people to a Feature Request Board to be ignored ring should do something about it.

I posted about this same issue a week ago, and was directed to the same board by a poster. In fact that same poster also said it was a most requested feature. Why is Ring not listening?

Additionally, they referenced me to several other posted that were made all about the same thing! Why is Ring not listening?

2 Likes

Hi @kxb177. Chiming in here! The Feature Request board, as mentioned earlier, is where our teams gather information on how to improve Ring. Many of the updates that happen in the Ring app, actually stem from these Feature Requests. Most recently, we’ve added Customizable Motion Zones and Rich Text Notifications, to name a few. We value your feedback and we appreciate your patience as we work to improve your experience with Ring.

I agree. It’s one of the things that bothers me the most. The system is great, sometimes a bit glitchy, but really good. The biggest thing it needs, is a “Night” or “Sleep” mode.

1 Like

AGREE!!! I also would really, really, really like that!

6 months later, and still no update. Little disappointing.

Hi @jhindo327. As described by the marked solution for this post, the Modes that we do have available are customizable. The name of Mode may not be labeled as “Night” or “Sleep”, but you can customize an existing Mode to behave as such. I hope this helps.

Add Night Mode to allow instant alarm when any sensor is triggered. Like almost every other alarm system has. Is just basic common sense. Would like to hear companies argument why it is absent. Night Mode is so you don’t have to go into modes EVERY NIGHT to change the setting to give you an extra minute of awareness that a threat has been inside your house for a minute while you are asleep and completely oblivious. It is not the same as “Home” where you have zones that don’t trigger alarms and a delay after a sensor is triggered because you are awake and can react to the little notification. Is not the same as “Away” when you need a delay to give you enough time to deactivate the alarm so it does not go off when you come home and open the door and gain access to your keypad. The only reasons I can think of that Ring doesn’t have this feature is that 1. They are embarrassed being stuck with already having released their 1st and 2nd gen keypads that are missing the Night Mode button and don’t want to look bad since they didn’t think it through…or they have some data that indicates all the other alarm companies set off a crazy number of false alarms because of it so the benefit doesn’t justify the harm of having that mode? At least make it a setting on the app. Am I missing something? I’m debating returning the whole system.

2 Likes

This solution isn’t a solution. It’s just letting us know that there isn’t a solution…just a lot of hassle every night to do something almost every other company has standard. But it is appreciated you let us know this anyway. Thanks.

It’s a feature available standard on just about every other major alarm company that I know of. It’s not some esoteric feature…it’s basic.

1 Like

I’m new to Ring and really surprised a Night/Sleep Mode, distinct from the Home mode, wasn’t already in existence.

Reading over these threads and replies, I think if Ring isn’t going to add Night Mode, they could at least make it easier to access the settings one needs to toggle to manually make a Night Mode.

That would probably solve 90% of the headaches. Let us add a Device to the Dashboard screen with setting toggles right there on the Dashboard.

My manual “Night Mode” is just switching my kitchen motion detector to Room (rather than Entryway), and setting it to be armed, rather than unarmed.

As things currently stand, one has to tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap, tap to just change one device. Those settings are all buried under too many menu levels.

Really though, there should be a way to just save multiple configurations for Home mode, and allow you to switch between the configurations. Having to manually change these settings every single night, on individual devices, is not the ideal solution.

None of the things I’ve suggested require a new hardware button, or even a new mode. Just let us save Home mode configurations, and make it easy to switch between them.

This doesn’t work then it takes away home mode.

I give this example so that you can help.

I have 6 exterior cameras 2 interior and motion sensors and subdue window/door sensors.

Home: when awake I want to know when individuals are coming into my yard so I arm all exterior cameras.

Home Sleep (Wanted): all door sensors will set off alarm if opened.

Away activates motion sensors and all door/window sensors and cameras. I can’t turn on Away at night because it will set off motion if my kids get up in the middle of the night

There’s no way, to my knowledge, to turn these door/ window sensors on while awake because my kids will set the alarm off constantly.

Hi there, neighbors! Providing this thread with some updates on best steps to use Alarm to your liking. As mentioned above,

Following the above steps will also allow you to adjust the Entry/ Exit Delay of your Modes. Manually selecting which sensors are included in a Mode can be done both in the Menu and from most Alarm device pages in the Ring app.

Changing the Placement for a Motion or Contact Sensor has changed slightly. To do so; go to the Ring app Main Menu > select Devices > select Alarm Base Station > select Alarm device to visit device page. Next, choose the Device Settings.

At Ring, we like to provide our neighbors with many options. Remember the Ring app is full of great features that can work together to accomplish desired outcomes. Check out this article about the SOS button in the Ring app, or this one about Alexa integration options with your Ring devices.

As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add your support to this request on our Feature Request Board. Simply visit the board, and search for “Alarm Modes” to find similar requests you can vote on. :slight_smile:

1 Like

Modes is a great idea but completely useless without an API. Without an API the Doorbell can’t be integrated with other home automation systems. Night Mode is also necessary.

I create an account just to comment on this. I totally agree that the proposed solution is not a true solution of something that is standardized in the industry. If I wanted to change my settings between daytime and night time I shouldn’t have to go in every night and customize everything or have to disable stuff every time I do a simple thing I open a window. Very disappointed in the rain and I’m going to reconsider my proposed setup with their alarm system