New Stick Up Cam Battery Won't Connect to WiFi

We are new Ring customers this month, and are experiencing trouble getting our Ring Stick Up Camera Battery to complete the setup process. It will not connect to our home Wi-Fi. “Setup did not complete. Check your Wi-Fi password and try again.”

Some things we have checked:

• We are attempting to connect the camera to the same Wi-Fi network that our Ring base unit is connected to (also connected via Wi-Fi, and is currently further from our router).
  • Our Wi-Fi router is broadcasting both 2.4GHz and 5GHz signals.
  • SSIDs only contain alphanumeric characters, no spaces or special characters, and is only 10 characters long.
  • Our password only contains alphanumeric characters, no spaces or special characters. It is 16 characters, which is the minimum allowed by our cable modem / router box (!).
  • We reset the camera by holding the button down for 10+ seconds until it restarted.
  • Tried 2 different cell phones to complete the setup process.
  • Our 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks normally use the same SSID and password. Tried switching 5GHz to a different SSID name (just adding “5G” to the SSID, so still no special characters) and a different password.
  • Power-cycled the modem/router.
  • Moved close to the modem/router, as close as 3 feet, as far away as 2 rooms away.
  • Verified the Wi-Fi connection and password work for the Ring base unit, just in the next room over.
  • Tried the setup dozens of times.
  • Fully charged the battery.

What am I doing wrong here? Did I get a defective camera?

So, I found a solution. Not sure why it worked, but it worked.
My modem/router allowed the creation of a separate 2.4GHz network. I created a network specifically for the Ring devices, and the camera connected on the first try.

2 Likes

Hey @sparhawk. Thank you for sharing this information. Sorry we weren’t able to get back to you sooner, but we were out of the offie for the long weekend. Some routers will automatically try to switch the connection from 2.4GHz to 5GHz, or vise-versa. Great call on making a separate 2.4GHz network!

1 Like

Thank you so much for posting this. We were having the same problem, but your comment solved it quickly. Much appreciated!

2 Likes

Ok, so I have followed all of the same steps as the original poster. My Ring Stick-Up Cam - Battery will not connect to WiFi. All of my other ring devices are connected just fine to the same router 2.4ghz network. I am seeing 2 others in this thread who were able to create a separate 2.4ghz network through their router. I don’t seem to have that option on my router or at least I have not found that possibility. What else can I do to resolve this?

Hi @Trabiman. Try the steps outlined here to see if you’re able to create a separate guest network on your router. If that still doesn’t work, and none of the troubleshooting steps suggested in the original post work, please follow up with our support team at one of the numbers available here so they can take a closer look. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

hello, I am experiencing the same problem, just bought the pack of 3 stick up cam battery. I have google home wifi. the funny thing is, 2 out of the 3 cam able to connect to wifi. but the 3rd one cannot. even got this replaced by ring, with a new Cam. and also did all the steps above including restarting router etc etc. any help appreciate it

Hi @kl1118. As a test, try to connect your Stick Up Cam to a WiFi hotspot. If it connects to the hotspot, you may need to make some adjustments to your router or phone settings. If it does not connect, you will need to reach out tour support team. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I couldn’t get my new 3rd gen stickup cam to connect to my iPhone hotspot for mobile use in a travel trailer; although internet searches kept telling me it could be done. I spent over an hour on the phone with tech support, to no avail. I was told by ring support that I would have to get a mesh router set up in my travel trailer to monitor the camera while away. Of course, yes, I know having the hotspot on my cell requires cell signal.

While hacking away at trying to get it connected with internet searches, I discovered that my hotspot password was too long. I shortened it to 8 characters and BINGO! Connected!

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.