New Ring Spotlight Cam Pro (Wired) Release date?

Thank you for your reply Tom but cannot you find out who within the organisation is managing it?
I can do a simple LinkedIn search and find key people within the Ring organisation, should I go to them direct?

1 Like

The hardwired cameras are now available for purchase on the ring website.

wow, I can’t believe my eyes. I placed my order! Let’s hope these are good.

Yup, confirmed… but still no information on how to deal with rectangular junction boxes - whether new or if trying to upgrade from the last generation. They need to be supported if they don’t want to jump on the planned obsolescence band wagon that causes everyone to be irritated with all things technology. It’s bad enough I (apparently) can’t just leverage the same pin connector and pop on a new camera but have to deal with a weird USB connection which is less weather-resistant but whatever… you have to at least support the same j-box since round can’t fit over rectangle without gaps!

That said, I’ve found interesting things online for the (non-wired) stuff that “seems” to show a rectangular plate with an odd hole in it, presumably for the “plug-in” to well, plug in. So you’d think someone is actually thinking about this … but I can’t plop down a quarter-grand until they actually show this for the wired. Come on communications transparency… don’t fail us now… :slight_smile:

The kit includes a junction box adapter plate. This should mount to a standard rectangular box. The round plate will them cover the entire box. Similar to how the spotlight camera is mounted, only have a round option for that.

Thanks for the datapoint @user34537 – is there a picture/documentation showing this and some specs? Remember, a standard rectangular jbox is wider that a standard round jbox and there would be a gap unless they made the entire thing oversized, at which point it’s too big to overlap a single shingle. But even if there’s a wonky adapter, I’ll take the effort and would love to look at it.
The whole point of using a standard rectangular mount like this (below) is only wanting to impact a single piece of siding and be less obtrusive. Obviously, a circle/round will take up that extra vertical dimension which I don’t have much extra of on a standard shingle siding board. Heck, an oval, maybe, but that’s the concern here. I need pictures… have any? I don’t see the manual or anything online yet. Need that and some exact dimensions…

According to the support article linked below, the adapter plate is for what you are describing. Scroll down about halfway to the section titled : “For junction and switch box” and you see the adapter plate being installed first, and this plate is larger than the box.

Additionally, the product photos show the adapter plate which has many mounting hole patterns in it. These hoes will allow the round plate to be installed on a rectangular box.

This is a standard mount, similar to the floodlight cams.

@ChrisJ_Ring, I’ve also got rectangular boxes so I’ll let you know how it goes when my cameras arrive.

1 Like

Very miss leading on Ring’s Part. Yes the Ring Spotlight Cam Pro, Wired available for purchase. However, what you get is basically a Ring Spotlight Cam Pro, Battery with a Hardwired Kit. The whole idea of a wired camera is to never have to deal with batteries.

You would think Ring would offer these at a sale price for those of us waiting 3+ months ( and signed up to be notified when available) and missing out on 2 sale periods in the interim

1 Like

Thank you @adamredd ! I still think we have a potential fitment issue on the vertical, for horizontally-mounted rectangular jboxes… so this will be good.

Indeed @GaryKinAZ … plus the extra security that comes from a device that can’t have it’s bottom opened up, invite things to live inside it, etc. Or in the past, it let them make the device more compact and slimlined.

Thank you @user34537 , that definitely helps a smidgen… so looking at this thing for a “junction and switch box” it only shows the vertically mounted orientation. The whole point of the old “Mount” SKU was to allow for the horizontal, typically across a single siding shingle. I don’t think this round thing will allow for mounting without the shingle above getting in the way… but we’ll see if some more information actually comes out. This is why I never wanted a floodlight SKU. If I did, I’d install one of those wooden plates that goes across typically 3 pieces of siding at least and gives you a flat surface for a round jbox. Totally not in the “about an hour” installation expectations setting for sure! Also, the fact that this thing keeps recommending to “caulk around the plate” is ridiculous. That’s so against most electrical codes it’s not funny. How many switch plates, exterior lights, et. al have you seen caulked? Lordy…

Ring publicly announced this product but refuses to inform customers about its status. Bad PR. Looks like there will never be a release but Ring would rather try and keep us all waiting so we don’t move on to another product. Integrity Matters. Ring hasn’t demonstrated Integrity, Honesty, or Transparency only Silence.

@Fallsgrove Lot of folk unhappy about this delay, there is another long thread about it. I suspect the delay is related to the rather unusual design. I saw some pics on another thread where it looks like the USB power adaptor is built into the mount and then the mount is wired into the mains. They have either had some issues in testing or are trying to get the design signed off for various regions. Ring wont give updates on unreleased products as they don’t want to say its been delayed but will come out on day x in case they run into another issue and have to then delay it again.

These cameras and hardwired kits are now available for purchase on the ring website.

Hi neighbors. As of February 15th, 2023, the Spotlight Cam Pro Wired and the Spotlight Cam Plus Wired are available for purchase on Ring.com and select retailers in the United States and EU region. If you have any questions about your Camera, please create a new topic in the Security Cams board. Thank you!

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.