New Ring Spotlight Cam Pro (Wired) Release date?

This delay, combined with the lack of any sort of ETA whatsoever, is unacceptable. I paid an electrician to install 3 hardwired boxes at various locations on my house, ready for this hardwired spotlight cam pro, and they’re sitting there unoccupied. I am loyal ring customer, with alarm, doorbell, backyard floodlight pro, and lighting, but I am strongly considering taking my business elsewhere for camera coverage as this lack of communication is seriously losing trust.

I work in product development for a major company, and I understand products can be delayed, but having no rough ETA for availability is unacceptable and unprofessional.

I realize Tom_Ring probably doesn’t have this information, so not trying to blame that person or pile on here, but please, someone who knows needs to see this thread and do something about it or give Tom the info needed to help us.

1 Like

So, no date, no response, nothing. I’m starting to think this isn’t really going to ship at all. I feel we’ll wait a few months and the product might be canceled. Meanwhile my home is unsecured and I have no idea when it will be. A month? A year? Never?

I’m about to pull the plug on Ring and invest in Netatmo. At least the product exists!

I have been waiting months for these cameras too. Would like to purchase 2 of them. On a recent google search, I found this via the shopping feature. Hopefully this is a sign that the release is coming soon. Good to have a better concept of what we’re all waiting for too.

1 Like

I’ve phoned a number of times and same answer - no idea when it will be available.
It’s really annoying as I now need to call an electrician back a second time and incur additional expense.
As a new customer I am pretty fed up with this now. Silence speak volumes.

1 Like

It’s infuriating. I’m deeply invested in an ecosystem from a company that doesn’t seem to care about me or its other security cam customers one bit. All they had to do is tell us what’s going on with this product, if there is a date, if something has changed, or SOMETHING. There is no excuse for the silence.

This is an Amazon company, supposed to governed by the leadership principle “Customer Obsession” (I worked there for years). I see the opposite here, just total disregard for customers. Very disappointed.

I agree the lack of communication is frustrating. This “wired” camera we’re talking about actually is the battery powered camera that will be sold with a hardwired adapter mount. After seeing the mount (above post), it appears to contain the USB-C power transformer internally in the mount. My guess (total shot in the dark) is that this device is delayed due to a pending UL certification. Obviously frustrating that this wasn’t taken care of before launching, but I also wouldn’t want to buy a product that isn’t 100% safe. I’m really looking forward to these being released so that I can complete my home security system.

And here’s the full screenshot from google shopping which has details on the mount and pricing. Really hope that since google was able to scrape this from amazon, that the release is imminent.

Well, that’s encouraging. I hope this is bundled as a “hardwired” option and doesn’t require separately purchasing the battery one and adding this mount.

That looks awesome! Are people using a round junction box like this one?

Or is there an adapter plate for the rectangular box that will match up with the fastener layout on the camera base?

@user34626 Yes, I had an electrician install boxes just like this on the outside of my house months ago. The boxes have been sitting patiently, empty, waiting for these cameras. Edit: if you have existing boxes that aren’t round, I imagine the kit may include a rectangular mounting plate, similar to the kit for the last generation spotlight cam, which can be found here: Amazon.com but I haven’t seen any notes on the product pages confirming this yet. If it doesn’t include a rectangular plate, my guess is the round plate is large enough to cover the rectangular box and will have some sort of adapter and will look just fine. The larger round plate may be required since it looks like this assembly includes some sort of USB power transformer inside of it.

@adamredd Shouldn’t be a need for a separate purchase unless you already own the battery or plug-in version and want to convert it to hardwired. According to the product pages, the wired version of the camera includes this kit. The Ring website highlights that it includes a “hardwired kit” and the amazon site states the “bundle contains Spotlight Cam Pro, Battery, and a Hardwired Kit.”

Also of note - the Ring website navigation bar has been updated as of this morning and under “outdoor cameras” the wired versions of the plus and pro cameras are “featured.”

Hopefully this all means any day now…

1 Like

Not sure how long the below installation support article has been up, but it gives more details about the mount and shows how the USB power supply is built into the mounting plate. Never seen anything like this before, so its probably a good guess that the delay is getting this design signed off for safety reasons.

Hardwired Kit plastic

Okay, so, so far zero updates on anything useful here. Based on historical product trends, I’ve had a standard single-gang rectangular junction box installed on my house for a year now and still waiting, capped with a weathertight plate. This is the ‘only’ way to provide a minimally invasive impact to your siding as a horizontal mount will only impact a single shingle. A round mount such as this requires a big wooden escutcheon to go over multiple shingles and convert things. I could frankly care less about how they power it, but more that they stick with the standards of mounting that they established for the spotlight cam to keep it unobtrusive. If I wanted a big cancerous cist on my house, I’d just go with the floodlight cam and full-on mickey mouse ear lights. Come on Ring, lordy. Anyone that’s gone through the trouble of mounting your last generation is going to be super irritated if something like this isn’t accounted for:

As far as using USB for power conversion, I agree with the sentiment here that it’s also kinda stupid since you’re adding potential failure points of the USB connection itself. The gold-plated pin connectors are spring loaded and USB is typically a friction connection. But whatever. The biggest issue I see is planned obsolescence since, in addition to the above issues, you’re making it impossible to easily swap in new hardware as you release it. 120V power isn’t going anywhere and there was nothing wrong with the original mounts… so changing it for no engineering benefit makes no sense. Seems like you’d actually need more expensive AD/DC conversion hardware to deal with the USB standard over your previous design.

Sigh… please take your past customers into consideration in all of this. I’m hoping for a rectangular j-box announcement soon else if you’re changing this much, why wouldn’t we just jump to another product line like Google, Nest, Arlo, Swann, Eufy? (teeth grinding)

The battery version of the camera is on sale right now - $40 off. Since it’s the same camera as the “wired” version, I went ahead and bought a couple and will buy the hardwired adapters once they are available. Why wait any longer…

With the sale price of $190 and the estimated adapter price of $60 (from google shopping noted above), the total price will be $250/camera, the same as currently listed online for the “wired” camera. So not real financial loss and I get to have the cameras now.

If they don’t offer a way to attach to a standard single-gang box, it’s still moot for me (come on Ring, listen to your people – you don’t want to be like Apple and release new standards for power plugs every 5 minutes just to drain the happiness from the cult :(.

I sure hope they’re not just repurposing the battery version to make for a cheaper supply chain with less options. No need for a battery hole for spiders to live in :). At some level it feels like they’re pushing us to just buy the last gen equipment with all these nonsensical changes. Heck, the other thing that’s gotten some interesting web-play is that the lights on the spotlight cam are also more yellow and less blue as far as the kelvins (e.g., closer to 2700 ick than 4000 of the current). I’d overlook if everything else was addressed but dunno. Another thing to note is the laser tracking makes detection loop time (e.g., time for phone to notify you) a lot slower, apparently. Hopefully fixed with future firmware updates, but just a heads up per testing.

Continuing the discussion from New Ring Spotlight Cam Pro (Wired) Release date?:

This is a major customer FU. Just inform us of whether or not this product is going to release. If yes, when, if no why and tell us what the challenge is. There are many of us waiting for this product as part of an installation of several. Leaving us completely in a state of flux.

1 Like

Another month and another call and same answer - don’t know release date of the wired version.

I can only suspect it won’t get released & we are being fobbed off. I bet this message won’t get replied to (or if it does just the usual dont know)

I am now going to research other systems. Any suggestions?

Hi @Richard2345. As mentioned previously in this thread, we don’t have a set date for the release of the wired version. I understand that many are excited for its release, but I just don’t have the date when this will happen. If I had a date, I assure you that I would share that information. Thank you for your patience while we both await more information about the wired version.

Hi Tom,

Thanks for chiming in. I understand we won’t get any information on a release date, however would it be possible to confirm that a hardwired adapter (like shown above) is in the works? I purchased two of the battery cameras with the assumption I can convert them at a later date. I feel like this is a good interim plan to have coverage while Ring works on bringing this hardwired adapter to market. It would be great if Ring could provide confirmation that this is a safe course of action for customers.

Thanks!

Running out of patience. Months and months and months, nothing. I feel this product isn’t even coming. I have been waiting to purchase 3 since November. It is astounding to me that Ring remains totally silent on the status of this project. At this point, even if the camera is released, trust has been burned. It takes one such event to lose customer trust, and much longer to regain it. All they have to do is COMMUNICATE with us. Tom_Ring, you’re not the problem, I realize that. I hope you’re able to express our frustration through whatever internal channels you have. They need to tell us something, fast, or we’re taking our business elsewhere.

+1 on all the emotions coming to bear here on transparency but the biggest concern for me remains Ring needs to support a single gang box and just doesn’t ignore the fact that that makes up a huge percentage of their population out here. It’s the only way to mount cameras and disrupt a “single shingle” on the side of the house for the most unobtrusive installation as many of us prefer not to add a big cyst on the house if at all possible. Also, if upgrading you simply just can’t “add a round where once was a rectangle”. You’ll be left with a gap. You’re into woodworking and such which is ridiculous when Ring’s big “plus” was “installs in minutes”. So tell me this mounting modality is coming (see below), regardless of the trusty pin connector or puzzlingly more complex USB, and I’ll happily shush :slight_smile: