New base station with router & internet backup - the Pro Plan

So how is this going to work? I have a cable modem and router in a not-central location in my house (in a wiring closet). My Ring Base Station is ethernet connected in a central location for better sensor coverage and alarm siren.

If my internet goes down, my devices are still connected to my modem/router (in the wiring closet), so Ring internet backup is not going to work (my devices are not going to magically redirect to another router). Seems to me the only way this works is to have the Ring Alarm as the router for your network, directly connected to your cable modem, and no longer in a central location in the house (in my case in the closet).

Hopefully you can still use the new base station as a standard ethernet connected unit without activating the router. Or did they now design the alarm cellular backup integrated to also require the router? I suppose more details to come.

This seems like a case of bundling products that should not be bundled in an attempt to get people to use an amazon router. If amazon wants to sell an amazon router with cellular internet backup, then they should do that. There is no good reason to bundle these, they have also increased the footprint of a failure.

As for the plan price increase . . . $100/year for the protect plan was a good deal, so I am not surprised the price is going up. I get that part.

Hi @Brad, happy to share some information on this! First, you can read about the Ring Protect Pro plan and all of its features in our Help Center Article here, including details on the backup internet. Backup Internet provides internet connection to wifi-enabled Ring and non-Ring devices during an internet or power outage. During the event of an internet outage, Backup Internet will step in to provide all your wifi-connected devices with cellular internet connection. Additionally, you can find even more information about the backup internet specifically here. That article will go into depth about how this feature works and hopefully help clear things up. As a final note, the Ring Alarm Pro has a built-in eero Wi-Fi 6 router that connects directly to your modem. This would then replace the router that you’re currently using, but still connects directly to the modem you have with your internet service provider. :slight_smile:

In your case, you would no longer need the router. The Ring Alarm Pro base station would be come the main router and this would need to be connected to your cable modem directly, assuming they are two separate units. If not you’ll need to either disable the router portion or replace it.

You would need to avoid ‘double routers’ basically.

Yes, well the reasons this is such a bad idea . . . (1) your Ring Bas Station needs to be centrally located on your house, your cable modem and current router probably are not. And . . . (2) when combined if you have a device failure you are losing both your alarm and router.

Even if I wanted to use this, then I need to run another ethernet cable for the backhaul to my switch and all my other ethernet devices - - cable modem to centrally located Ring alarm and router, then back to the rest of my ethernet drops. Just a bad idea all around, at least based on the available information today.

I agree - my router is in my “DMARC” which is in a closet and does not run WiFi to the house. I have a mesh system but they act as access points and these are the ones placed throughout the house.

The base station with built-in router and Protect Pro may be good for certain environments but not many other ones. This includes Prosumers and customers who only use their internet provider all-in-one cable-modem+telephone+WiFi router.