New 4k resolution cameras!

Ring! It’s time to upgrade the cameras. When can we expect the next gen camera technology? Looking for 4k spot light camera that can read license plates on vehicles from 40 feet away day and night! Also a 4k doorbell with range of 40 feet zoom clarity.

Time to step it up.

Cheers!

3 Likes

I disagree on the 4k. Gigabit internet is becoming rapidly available to neighborhoods. Other products are already have 4k cameras. Maybe one work around, the stream is a lower quality but recording to the server is highest quality for post recording analysis. We just need ring “Amazon” to start making the devices and let customers work out the data management.

Cheers!

1 Like

I can’t tell…was this post posted this year because 4K needs to happen ASAP.

1 Like

You don’t need gigabit internet to support 4k security cameras. Keep in mind that this will not be anything near the bandwidth of say 4K streaming TV due to the lower bitrate of the security cameras. Even at 100mb/s cable internet, you should be fine for 1-2 cameras. Having any more than that might cause congestion but the chance of 3+ cameras streaming at the same time rather unlikely.

It’s time for Ring to upgrade their hardware as most of this has remained unchanged for 5+ years. In terms of technology, that is ancient. Even the 1080 captures from Ring cams are lightyears behind the competition’s 1080 due to the newer hardware. Even if Ring went with a newer generation 1080 or 2k sensor they could vastly improve their products.

I’m rather surprised Ring hasn’t addressed this already as their cameras are among the lowest video quality in the industry and their price point is towards the top. They have been getting away with it due to the brand recognition and friendly user interface but that will only last so long.