Ring Security Cameras

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Ring’s indoor and outdoor cameras.
U
Need to reconnect my Ring Cam but I am not able to be near itt
connectivity
negative-feedback
troubleshooting

I bought two Ring cams - one for the front and one for the back - so that I could monitor my property while I was out of town for a few months. My home lost power and when the power came back on, the front cam reconnected fine, but the rear cam did not. The app says that the rear cam is offline.

Everything I’ve found about re-connecting my Ring cam says that I have to be near it. I - obviously - cannot do that. Does anyone know of any solution to reconnect the camera to the wifi without being near the camera? I can’t be the only one this has happened to. It’s pretty frustrating. I have to imagine many people have Ring cameras to monitor their property while they’re out of town. There has to be a way to get it to reconnect to the wifi without me being there.

I do have my next-door neighbor set up as a “User” in my app for both cameras. He could be near the cam. Would he be able to reconnect it?

28-02-2024 11:55:37

Responses (3)

C

Hi @user78057. After a wifi outage, your Ring Cameras will automatically try to reconnect to the wifi network. If the signal isn’t strong enough, your Camera may not be able to automatically reconnect. You will need to be near the Camera to walk through the reconnection process manually. A Shared User cannot do this, only the Owner of the Ring device can.

28-02-2024 11:14:04

U

That is very disappointing. So, I spent all that money on the camera - not to mention the monthly service charges - for nothing? I’m not going to be near my camera for months. A huge appeal of your whole Ring ecosystem is that we - your customers - can use your cameras to monitor our properties remotely. That whole system falls apart if there is no way to remotely reconnect your cameras. This is a huge failure for your products and your service. Please escalate this to someone higher up the chain.

29-02-2024 09:04:28

U

Your argument falls down on the fact that Ring don’t actually put their customers first. They are just about making a profit and dropping us cheap and badly coded product that hangs off equally poorly written firmware and software.
I bought a couple of cameras, then two weeks later they upped the subscription by 40% citing “improvements”. In the 2 weeks I owned the cameras there were no changes whatsoever.
Needless to say I returned them.

I recommend looking for alternative cameras. I have a couple of ANRAN cameras now. They are so much better than the Rings as they Pan and Tilt alongside all the other features the Rings had. Plus they have a 6 second record to the cloud feature which I have found is enough to catch whatever is happening. Plus they will take an SD card (which Ring do not) to record much longer clips of video.

Each camera was £69, came with a bigger battery than the Ring and come with a solar panel to keep the battery charged. Ring charge extra for a solar panel and batteries. Ring equivalent price: £200!
You can then choose if you want more cloud services, you are not forced into them.
The picture quality is better than the Ring too.

As for auto-reconnection, I completely changed my house routers, adding an outdoor one and began again with the same SSID and password and the camera managed to reconnect to the internet with zero intervention.

Its not the perfect solution to your problem, but I hope the above helps in some small way, if only to know Ring aren’t interested in your problem.

Good luck.

01-03-2024 04:56:31

I’m not sure if the Ring Tech Group monitors these comments but this is a problem with ALL ring products. There have been a few occasions where I’ve had power failurs (lightning) and the only way I can reconnect them it to climb a latter and either manually reconnect (push a button) or rescan the product. There needs to be a way to connect/reconnect device without being near them… I am too invested in Ring at this point but this issue continues to be troublesome to me (and apparently others)

15-05-2024 05:20:27

T

Hi @7938c7c9cb224165118bd8f434223a. Instead of climbing a ladder, I suggest reviewing the Help Center article that Caitlyn provided. Take a look at the instructions below:

16-05-2024 02:27:53

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User