Need help: ring 2 Doorbell installation hardwire- chime wont work

I installed my new ring 2 doorbell and hardwired it to my old chime, but after installing ring the chime no longer works. if i touch the two wires the chime works. but if i connect it to the ring and ring the doorbell, no sound comes out from the chime.

Is my ring doorbell defective?

Hi @bigred. Have you checked to make sure your chime kit is compatible with the Doorbell 2? You can check our chime kit compatibility list in our Help Center Article here. If the chime kit is not compatible, it will not sound properly. If it is compatible and is still not working, try resetting your Doorbell by holding down the setup button for at least 20 seconds. After that, you can follow the steps under Set Up a Device to get it set back up in the Ring App.

Should the chime kit still not sound properly, please reach out to our support team for further assistance. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support. :slight_smile: