My Ring misses people close by, but gets cars in the road

My Ring unit (Video Doorbell 2) consistently misses people nearby, yet it reports cars in the street and my driveway that are MUCH farther away. A couple days ago, a UPS driver put a package on my porch directly under the Ring unit, and the unit did not report the visitor. His face had to be no more than 18 inches from the Ring Video Doorbell 2. Another time, a neighbor came up to my porch and picked up a free item – she must have been no more than 4 feet from the Ring unit, but it only started recording when she was walking away and her face could not be seen. And the Ring unit regularly misses the mailman – my mailbox is in the middle of the Ring’s field of view, and the mailman is about 15 feet away. The mailman has to walk in the open for about 10 feet to get to the mailbox, and is then visible for another 20 feet. However, the Ring Video Doorbell 2 does not catch the mailman on most days. (See photo of front door and mailbox layout with the Ring unit pointed out.) Yet it sees cars 35 feet away in my driveway and 60+ feet away in the street.

Is there any adjustment I can make to make it see people in front of my door more reliably? Or is this as good as it gets?

Bumping this back to the top, as there has been no reply or advice. Is this typical of Ring devices? If so, I may just take it back to Costco, since it misses the obvious and points out the unnecessary.

Hi @BobKo. Let’s see what we can do to get your Ring Video Doorbell 2 to detect motion more accurately. In the picture you provided I wasn’t quite able to tell, do you have the Wedge Kit installed on your Doorbell? The Wedge Kit angles the Doorbell down to more accurately detect motion when there are steps or a hill leading to your front door. Next, I would look over this Help Center article here to see if there are any changes we can make to your Motion Settings.

If you are still have Motion Detection issues after making these adjustments, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please go here to see how to contact support.

Thanks for the answer!

I am definitely using the wedge mount provided with the Ring Video Doorbell 2. In fact, I made an additional wedge to tilt the unit down even further, since my house is uphill from the street. I’ve tweaked the sensitive area quite a bit to get the right mix of sensitivity, but the Ring unit consistently triggers on vehicles in the street (50+ feet away) and usually misses the mailman (15 feet away).

We’re about ready to take the unit back to Costco and be done with it.

Hi @BobKo. Thank you for checking back in. I would suggest contacting out support team to do some live troubleshooting with you on this issue. This way, they can help you make the necessary adjustments to get your Ring Video Doorbell operating a full capacity. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Omgosh. Having the exact same problem. Just installed Ring doorbell/camera from Costco. It records when I walk out and lock the door, put something out for porch pick up, dog walkers, etc., but not who picks up for sale items on my porch! I don’t get it!