My ring doorbell is on solar charging and says it is charging ut keeps losing char dyays

My ring doorbell says it is solar charging but every 2 days I am getting a message to charge it. I live in the south of France and have adequate sunshine and luminosity. Why is this happening? My solar charger is a replacement and less than a year old. My bell is first generation and +/- 3 years old

Hi @Mikey2. Having a Solar Charger for your Doorbell will provide a trickle charge to help keep the battery topped off. If your Doorbell is experiencing a large number of motions, dings, and Live Views, the battery can be drained more quickly than it is charging via the trickle charge from the Solar Panel. Approximately how many events does your Doorbell receive each day?

Motion detection is off and max is 3 events per day. Really annoying as murphy’s law means every time I take it off to charge someone calls.

Was there ever a solution to this? I just got the solar charger for my first gen doorbell. The battery now drains faster (within 2 days) than it did before. Also, it currently shows that the doorbell is “hardwired” yet the battery level is “critically low” and therefore none of the functions work. I thought if it were hardwired, then the doorbell should still function.

Hi @Clarabear. What is the RSSI for this Doorbell? Also, Caitlyn has called out some important information.

I recommend charging your battery to 100%, then resetting it and reconnecting it to wifi. You can reset it by pressing and holding the setup button for 20 seconds, then releasing. This will prompt your Doorbell to perform a short update and you should notice the affects of the trickle charge for the Solar Charger. Let me know if this helps.