My ring doorbell is hardwired but showing a low battery why?

Exactly the same issue here. It has been fine for at least 2 years and now the battery is draining! WTF

2 Likes

Updates: it seems in my case it was indeed cold, it was freezing temperatures and now after its warmed up a bit - I started seeing my batteries slowly being charged. Perhaps I was too fast to report.

I have a Ring Doorbell 2 and two Ring stick up cams outside powered by Wasserstein solar panels. The stick ups have given me problems from day one. I had to buy a wifi extender thinking that would satisfy them. I was wrong.

And now the doorbell is telling me that the battery is low after a year and a half. We had winter the first week of February, so the cold is not an issue. Our highs have been in the 70s. If weather were an issue then it would have croaked in August when it’s broiling.

Charging it now and waiting to see how long it will last.

I don’t have the patience to fiddle with arbitrary technology. And I’m not loyal to brand.

1 Like

Ring Doorbell 3 now at 40% and still falling, hardwired and lightning symbol is showing in battery icon, battery icon is now amber, not green.
I’m afraid this will be getting returned for a refund, clearly Ring are lying when they say hardwiring trickle charges the battery, this week the temperature has been between 10 and 20 degrees celsius and the battery has drained quicker than ever, this is false advertising and misleading!
Time to try Nest doorbell instead.

3 Likes

This is really dishearting. I have 2 Ring Door Bells 2. Installed and hard-wired for 2 years and now the same problem. The cold is NOT the problem, it has been getting warm the last several weeks and now it’s showing low battery. I did pull the unit and check the voltage and it’s right in the rang of recommended voltage.
Anyone got a believable response from Ring?

5 Likes

I am having the same issue. Glad I came here to see it’s not just me. Ring video doorbell 3 here. Never had this issue with my series 2. All my devices have been hardwired since day one. First time I’ve ever had to remove the battery.
I am charging the battery now and removed the device, will reinstall and hard reset and see how it goes.

3 Likes

So all of these similar comments/complaints have been posted within the last month and a half. Some units a couple years older than others. All different gens. So hey, RING! This is you not us! Mine just started doing this the last week. What’s up?!answers please!

7 Likes

I’d be interested to see if anyone got anywhere with this.

Had a ring doorbell 2 hardwired for over 2 years. Not had any problem throughout the cold weather until past couple months the battery was draining. Tried charging with usb and the other batteries in my ring floodlight and it’s no different, it lasts maybe a few weeks.

Incredibly frustrating. I know it’s not the battery so it points to one of the updates causing a drain unless the contacts on these only have a shelf life of 2-3 years.

Contemplating jumping ship for a different smart doorbell brand.

3 Likes

Ditto, same problem since Wednesday 14th April, 2021. Very annoying!

I’m also seeing a similar issue. My Ring doorbell has been hardwired since last summer with no issue and suddenly this week the battery is low while clearly indicating it is hardwired. I hardwired it precisely so I wouldn’t have to deal with recharging the battery all the time, so this is quite frustrating. I hope Ring support is reading this thread.

Same. Mine just started this yesterday. I received an alert that my batt was 30% and needed to be charged. Mine is hardwired and shouldn’t need a charge. Now this morning it’s at 12%. Come on ring. What’s going on?

1 Like

It doesn’t look like ring read these forum posts.

Anyone had any luck contacting them directly? With all the sudden and similar occurrences of similar nature it definitely points to a possible software or firmware update that has started to cause battery drain

2 Likes

Same issue here with 3Ring 3 Pro. Has worked fine for 6 months. Now not showing hardwired.

Update : took my battery out and charged it fully and the Live View worked again. Less than 48 hours later, the battery dropped below 10% and Live View stopped functioning. Everything else works fine with the device.

Definitely a firmware issue and needs sorting rapidly - it’s really starting to hack me off!

5 Likes

RING! this is frustrating… i have everything working fine… and battery level still drops every 4 days on my Doorbell 3 Plus… even my wifi is super strong… pleas fix this firmware issue !

2 Likes

Same here. Ring 3 Pro
Ran on battery (through the cold) for months.
I recently hardwired it. It ran fine for a few days showing hardwired as power source.
Check it yesterday and see battery is draining. No hardwire detected.
So I check the transformer and it’s putting out 17.2v, so not on the “low end”. It’s a 30a unit specifically.

A few disputes I have with previous CSR statements.
17v isn’t a “trickle”… It’s enough to fully power this device.
Pulling power from the hardwire and trickle charging the battery DOES NOT increase battery life, specifically LIPO batteries.
Pulling power through the battery this way in facts KILLS lipos. Hardwire power source should entirely bypass the battery for best battery life. Fail over to battery if and only when the hardwire fails.

Horrible design if “trickle charging” a lipo off a 17v power source is “the way” to accomplish a hardwired connection.

I’ll be returning this unit as it doesn’t take a hardwire for powering as claimed and buying the latest hardwire ONLY unit which …surprise surprise… works just fine off a “trickle” hardwire.

Noting the number of recent complaints I too am looking at the firmware as being the culprit of poor performance on hardwire.

Ring…fix it…quit brushing off complaints and dismissing 17v as “trickle charging” when you have devices that work fine off that same power source.

4 Likes

Hi there, neighbors. There is a solution on this thread which contains some great steps for optimizing the charge received by your Video Doorbell from existing wiring. In addition to that, please also visit this Hardwiring Checklist for some great steps:

If you’ve tried everything mentioned in this thread and the Hardwiring Checklist, our support team will be happy to take a closer look for you. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

A lovely reply but what a cop out!

We all know how to wire our doorbellsjj, some of us have had them installed for literally years!

What we need is a firmware update ASAP.

Why should each customer have to ring customer services, explain exactly the same problem ,over and over again, when we know what the solution is.

For UK customers I think it might be time to contact the ombudsman.

4 Likes

I have the same issue and I have my Ring Doorbell 3 set to all the “recommended” settings, yet I still have to change/recharge the battery. So, let me get this straight, if I buy the solar charger ($49.00) that will trickle charge the doorbell but if it is hardwired to an electrical source, it can’t…? That is either a bad design or it was intentional to get customers to buy more accessories. This poor design has made me reconsider future Ring products, and the poor responses on this tread are just blaming customers for trusting in their product in the first place. I will NOT make the same mistake again!

4 Likes

same issue here… RING Ver 1 stopped charging. Electrical source in spec … only difference with my experience is that it doesn’t say ‘hardwired’ like many of the previous posts. RING offered a small discount on future products… REALLY? I want to buy a product from a company that doesn’t support their original products - WRONG. I suppose I’m complaining to nobody … but at least I feel better …

1 Like