My ring doorbell is hardwired but showing a low battery why?

My ring doorbell is hardwired but showing a low battery why?

1 Like

Hello @lascott518 ,

You didn’t mention which model Ring Video Doorbell that you have “Hardwired”, but if it is an original Ring Video Doorbell (1st Generation), or Ring Video Doorbell 2, or the newer Ring Video Doorbell (2nd Gen/2020 Release), or Ring Video Doorbell 3 or “3 Plus” . . . then your Ring Video Doorbell is actually a battery-powered device and cannot operate without the battery. The old pre-existing house doorbell wires only provide a slow “trickle-charge” to your doorbell’s battery and these wires cannot power the doorbell alone.

The pre-existing house-bell wiring will slowly"trickle-charge" the battery as long as the house-bell transformer is between 8 to 24 Volts AC and rated at 40 Volt-Amp (watts) maximum. It is highly recommended to fully charge your battery with the USB recharging cable before hardwiring. On your smartphone Ring App you can monitor the battery charge on the Device Health page. You will noticed that during heavy usage (frequent Motion-activations or “Live Views”, etc.) that the battery level will decrease, because the trickle-charge cannot keep up with the electrical high-load demand. But then when the usage work-load decreases, the “trickle-charge” will slowly recharge the battery back up, so you may never need to charge it up with the USB cable.

I don’t know if you own a Ring Video Doorbell 3 or 3 Plus, but if that is the case, there is a little known improvement that could give you the illusion that your doorbell is not charging properly. The trickle charge the Ring Video Doorbell 3 gets from being hardwired is modified to charge the battery and in order to maximize the lifetime of the battery, so the “Ring Video Doorbell 3” and “3 Plus” now waits for the battery to hit below 90% before using the wired power to recharge the battery. Once the battery level falls below 90%, it should start charging and display a “lightening bolt” symbol in the center of the Battery Icon on the Device page to indicate that it is charging.

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360038856311-Charging-the-Battery-for-Your-Ring-Video-Doorbell-3

With your Ring Video Doorbell properly setup and connected to the house pre-existing wires, your should see “Power Source - Hardwired” and Battery charge status level on the “Device Health” page. Also, on the other Device page, you should see a green “Battery Icon” (upper-right-corner) with a “Lightening Bolt” in the center of this icon, indicating that your battery is indeed getting the “trickle-charge.” If you don’t see these indications with the wires connected, you might still be only operating on the battery power alone, and you should press and hold the black Reset Button for 20-seconds and then release (this will start a hard Factory Reset and be automatically restart the entire setup procedures for you to get the wired option).

In your case, you should recharge your battery back up with the USB cable. Then monitor to see if it drains again. Also check to see if your Doorbell was operating only on battery power and has drained down (not displaying “Hardwired” or missing the “Lightening Bolt” in the Battery icon). If you have the correct displays on your Ring App for “Hardwired” then you might have your settings with heavy usage and the slow “trickle-recharge” is unable to keep up with the heavy battery drain, so you might have to change some of your settings to reduce the load.

If you continue to have it showing “Low Battery”, then you should telephone Ring Support for additional help, at:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360036196372-Get-in-Touch

Unfortunately, due to the Covid-19, their available hours have been changed also:

https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/360041597471-Ring-s-Response-to-COVID-19

I hope you find this information helpful. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

This is excellent information. So I should probably send this extra (back-up) battery back to Amazon since I am hardwired and getting that charge.