Multiple Notifications for the Same Event

Unfortunately, I think I’m doing the same after it just cost me $30 for the year as a well. All I hear is the same excuses and getting no where. You have tried to make this piece of equipment do more than its capable of I think… In the beginning it was simple, but worked!

1 Like

Hi David. Yes they are used to really work good until this fancy notification thing was I had it and it seem to screw things up. If you turn off the new notifications it looks like everything works the way it should. I believe it was the enhanced notification option that caused it. Just make sure it’s turned off on all your devices. And by the way this is W4JJK. 73’s. QRT…

Do you mean Advanced notifications ? Over “enhanced”? 73 Dave

Well, I got the video you wanted. I’ll try to post the video separately so that it stays…but this should be good for the rest of 2020.

Reproduction Steps:

1. Left my phone inside with the screen locked

2. Trigger the motion sense on my ring stick-up cam wired (new version just bought, did the same on my old battery-powered one)

3. Once I felt the haptics on my watch, I started recording video on a different phone of the watch

4. Stopped recording with the last popup. Just after this, the screen went black.

https://www.icloud.com/attachment/?u=https%3A%2F%2Fcvws.icloud-content.com%2FB%2FATRmKo5cuvXV3A1GnXtsoFwoS2QZAVM__mJ1cBsrATI5OIkPBMirWNuk%2F%24%7Bf%7D%3Fo%3DApGKarvEw1mRnf0xEDIuQUwVRIntl9kHKJqRdKCjpwKY%26v%3D1%26x%3D3%26a%3DCAogZveCLTTQKo2ppEhbc_CWOMJyfEwIisvv1TAAaqMuNOoSdxCiqLfH4y4Yoriym-0uIgEAKggByAD_LsADGVIEKEtkGVoEq1jbpGom3T2G12aIPj_5r4Gf9zuoGibxTeU9LnzCS59OGcF9jUcCh0RxVmhyJlyyhyButrULM5eC8jRI4vAE4cjfl1S1QCrPeVuRKa2hbPZDG8sL%26e%3D1609864879%26fl%3D%26r%3D3678DB20-BBC0-436F-B65D-86209C92C110-1%26k%3D%24%7Buk%7D%26ckc%3Dcom.apple.largeattachment%26ckz%3D3309FA25-83D8-4A0C-B5E3-AE9558E1DBCB%26p%3D35%26s%3DgHC2dQdoEoLTcactY9yZARDceqY&uk=DGJRbO6msDCpUR4W62FKzg&f=IMG_3677.MOV&sz=28113723

5 Likes

Sorry. It should’ve said Rich notifications and that is located under the button on the screen that says Smart alerts. Turn off the rich notifications.

Another user here frustrated with the multiple notification alerts.

I’m going to shut off rich notifications and see if that helps.

Oops forgot to hit the email me when someone responds button.

Hopefully there is a fix for this soon. Seems like a nice feature to have (rich notification), if it actually functioned properly.

Turning off the Rich Notifications is not really a solution to the problem. The Rich Notifications are actually useful and a good new feature, it is just that they are being sent multiple times for each event. I spoke to the Customer Services team and they are well aware of the issue and working to fix it.

3 Likes

Oh I agree Richard. I’m thinking of a short term solution to the annoyance… until Ring figures this out.

So it looks like we have figured out the issue. Rich notifications cause duplicated notifications for the same event. There might be other issues here but at least this is definitely clear. Did anyone opened a ticket with Ring support so that we have a direct connection with their engineering support?

If no one did I will open a ticket tomorrow morning and will try to keep things updated unless someone from Ring says that this issue has been forwarded to their engineering.

I did call Ring today and showed them this thread and the video from my post yesterday. They have escalated the issue. I requested someone from their team reply here with the status…but we will see if that happens.

Sorry to hear this concern is persisting, neighbors! As mentioned prior in this thread, removing and reinstalling the Ring app on your mobile device is a great first step. Please also ensure there is not a VPN enabled, and no custom accessibility settings or 3rd party apps are impacting your alerts. If you are using an Android mobile device, please check for any android apps that might conflict with the Ring app.

For any neighbors using smart watches, check out our Rich Text Notification Community Post by Riley, which states that these notifications may show as multiple alerts for the same event and may include Rich Notification snapshots. Multiple notifications should not happen otherwise and, in addition to the steps above, trying another mobile device entirely (if possible) is a great way to rule out many factors. As communication variables should always be considered, please also ensure your Ring device RSSI is optimal, as well as testing the difference between wifi and cellular data on your mobile device. Our Community Post about RSSI can help with this.

If multiple notifications are continuing despite checking the variables or trying the steps above, feel free to confirm your mobile device type, OS version, and Ring app version for any potential further suggestions that can be made. This will also help us when sharing this feedback with our teams here. Thank you!

I’ve been having the same problem with my ring doorbell giving me 2 notifications in a row. I found that if I turn off “advanced motion detection” in the advanced settings of motion settings, then the problem stops and I only get one notification and not double. IMO, it seems to be a problem with the Advanced Motion Detection feature.

I’m on an iPhone

2 Likes

Yes, that solved the problem. Thanks…

1 Like

This fixed it! Definitely seems to be a bug with advanced motion detection. Thanks Melrwagner! Months of frustration over that.

1 Like

When I was on the phone today with customer support regarding another issue, I brought this up and the guy said, we don’t have anyone else reporting that problem. I guess he doesn’t keep up with this forum because clearly a lot of us have had this problem! I told him what fixed it for me so hopefully they get someone to look at it and work on the advance motion detection feature.

Yeah…I don’t have the option to disable “Advanced Motion Settings” even though they are enabled. Guess I’ll have to wait on the software fix.

I saw someone saying this had not been reported to support…it definitely has. I was on a few days ago specifically for this issue and had it escalated twice. Supposedly, they put it in “Trending” status.

I’m having the same issue! The tech when I called acted like she had no idea this was a known issue!!!
I have no “advanced motion settings” so can’t blame that.
I need to know when a car pulls in, so having to put person alert seems like another sign of a shoddy product.
And to top it off, at the same time this started, I can no longer access my video history. I can get to it, but they don’t play.
When I called, I was told my unit was probably needing to be replaced. After only a year? Under a porch? Rarely used? Again, shoddy product

Did that.
Didn’t work

I’m having the issue and don’t have any “advanced motion settings” to turn off. :-/
At the same time this started, I also lost the ability to view my video history!
They’re trying to tell me it’s my unit and said there were no known issues