Mounting the base station like the picture in the Ring advertisement - is that possible?

I get that there are keyhole mounts on the back of the unit.

With a TV mount, one would put a recessed outlet behind the TV to plug the power cord into. For the base station, 1) the recessed outlet sticks out too far to mount the base station over, and 2) the large power adapter and excess cord are too much for a recessed outlet.

With a tv mount you typically also run all the low voltage wires (hdmi, optical audio, etc.) through the wall to your other equipment. With the alarm base station, this would mean the low voltage power and ethernet. I am sitting here right now looking at my tv mounted this way (yes it does have a power outlet behind it also . . . but there is no option for low voltage power feed for the big tv). You may not want to do this, but I am just answering your question . . . how to.

You’re describing to me how to mount a TV. I’m concerned with mounting the Ring Alarm Base Station. It’s apples and oranges. A TV has all kinds of space and leeway to hide things while the current base station does not.

I’d like to see any successful mounts of the Base Station that are more elegant than a hole in the wall behind the base station with a power cord sticking out the other side.

eshock, I have a solution for you.

In the end I spent about $30, but it’s a clean install. You will need to make a bracket to support the base station in/on the box since the keyholes don’t match with anything, but other than that, everything is from Amazon. Let me know if you have any questions.

The outlet is currently out of stock, but the only reason I went with this particular one is it was rated at 4a. The Ring power brick is 2.5a and I couldn’t find reliable information on other USB outlets on what the output of a single USB port was.

Box:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E48COU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Outlet:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0817225XL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB Adapter:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075112RM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

13 Likes

@eshock wrote:

I’m concerned with mounting the Ring Alarm Base Station…I’d like to see any successful mounts of the Base Station that are more elegant than a hole in the wall behind the base station with a power cord sticking out the other side.

Why? Why do you want to see the thing in the first place? Once it’s in operation, you never have to physically access it for any reason. It’s not an object of art you want to show off to friends. I have mine in a recess on top of a wood cabinet, and it’s nearly concealed, and that’s exactly what I wanted. The power cord and outlet are behind the cabinet as well. Out of sight, out of mind was the objective for me.

1 Like

@Racklefratz wrote:

@eshock wrote:

I’m concerned with mounting the Ring Alarm Base Station…I’d like to see any successful mounts of the Base Station that are more elegant than a hole in the wall behind the base station with a power cord sticking out the other side.

Why? Why do you want to see the thing in the first place? Once it’s in operation, you never have to physically access it for any reason. It’s not an object of art you want to show off to friends. I have mine in a recess on top of a wood cabinet, and it’s nearly concealed, and that’s exactly what I wanted. The power cord and outlet are behind the cabinet as well. Out of sight, out of mind was the objective for me.

Kudos to you for being able to put the base station where you want it to be, but your post was not the least bit helpful in resolving the OP’s question.

To answer your “why?”: some people want the base station centrally located in their home and don’t have a piece of furniture or cabinet to put it on top of. Some also like to be able to visually see that the ring is red or blue indicating the state of arm. If I am one of these people, which I am, then I am not going to halfass the install and have wires and cables coming down my wall to an outlet (which doesn’t exist below where I installed the base station).

My way is right for me and how I want it installed, and I am guessing the OP feels the same way. Your way is right for you, but wrong for me.

2 Likes

Is there a reason you had to use a (2) gang box in liue of a (1) gang box?

It is what was required. The outlet and ethernet needed to be separated, and I wanted the base as flush as possible.

Instead of building the bracket, do you think it would work if I used that USB cable into a single-gang USB outlet with a recessed box?

It might work that. I really don’t remember why I went this route, but it works. It may have been that I was wanting to use ethernet.

I had a pre-installed single gang box on the wall next to my doorbell (originally intended for a carbon monoxide dector I believe is what the builder said, been too long to remember) but it had an RJ11 cable run from the data panel in the close to the outlet. Found this combo wall plate, it was obviously intended for some AV application as it includes an HDMI port which I didn’t need, but worked well for my usage. The USB-to-Barrel adapter mentioned ealier plus some fancy attic wiring (basically a really long usb cable to an existing plug in the attic lol) and an RJ11 to RJ45 pinout conversion table and I was in business!

https://www.amazon.com/RiteAV-Port-Ethernet-White-Plate/dp/B00ITO0UUY/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=ethernet+and+usb+wall+plate&qid=1602630450&sr=8-3

1 Like

Love this soultion. Kudos @Ri22o for solving it and sharing it with the community. Any chance you could explain how the bracket for hanging the Alarm basestation connects to the outlet box?

@Ri22o wrote:

eshock, I have a solution for you.

In the end I spent about $30, but it’s a clean install. You will need to make a bracket to support the base station in/on the box since the keyholes don’t match with anything, but other than that, everything is from Amazon. Let me know if you have any questions.

The outlet is currently out of stock, but the only reason I went with this particular one is it was rated at 4a. The Ring power brick is 2.5a and I couldn’t find reliable information on other USB outlets on what the output of a single USB port was.

Box:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B003E48COU/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o05_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Outlet:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B0817225XL/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

USB Adapter:

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B075112RM6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is a great solution! I have a similar one with the keypad. We are replacing an old alarm and that keypad was hardwired (low voltage) to an outlet in our basement. I’m wondering if there is an adapter I can use to wire the Ring keypad to those wires in my wall? Do you (or anyone) know if this will work? I found it when looking at the pieces you purchased for the base station. It says it’s compatible but I’m not an electrician and you can’t always trust everything on Amazon:

AmazonSmile: j4home DC-DC Converter Step Down Module 12V to 5V Micro USB Power Adapter (Ring Alarm keypad Compatible): Electronics

Hi @tahattermann. The Ring Alarm Keypad is designed to either be plugged into a standard wall outlet or run off of its rechargeable battery. It is not designed to be wired into any type of existing wiring from a previous alarm system. As such, we do not recommend any third-party adapters that advertise they are compatible with our devices, as we cannot guarantee that they will work or that they won’t cause any damage to your devices.

what is the latest on this topic? support are hopeless. Just told that base station wasn’t supposed to be wall mounted. Denied that that there was picture of it on website, until I proved it with snip

Hi there, neighbor! You will see our Base Station help center article mentions this can be placed on a flat surface or mounted on a wall (screws and anchors not included). The Base Station is intended to be powered using the included 100 - 240V 50/60Hz AC Adapter. When connecting to your network, the Base Station can connect via wifi or ethernet.

As every home is different, we understand that mounting scenarios will vary. The above article has some tips for best placement, and this thread has some suggestions, shared by neighbors.

If you are looking for something specific, you are always welcome to add a request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest, all in one place, which we routinely share with our teams. :slight_smile:

I’ve not managed to mount as nearly as the example on the website, but this was my effort, had an additional high level socket added for the base station and chime.

Not the most elegant solution, but with solid block walls/no drywall trying to recess something deep enough into the wall to hide everything wasn’t a realistic option

Not the nearest in the world, but not too offensive on the eye in my opinion

2 Likes

I used some magnets and some double-sided tape to “mount” my base station on the side of the refrigerator under a cabinet. Keeps it visible and in the open for sounds, but out of the way and easy to take down if necessary.

1 Like

This is by far the cleanest install I have found online! I just purchased everything in your links provided to do this with my install.

My plan is to mount the base station up high and then use the other USB plug to power the keypad which will be mounted halfway down the wall, fishing the wire through the open side of the box.

I would love to know how you fabricated your mounting bracket for the base station. Materials used or process for getting it in there like you did would be beyond helpful. :pray:t3: