Motion Notifications, Modes & Motion Schedules issue/"flaw"

Hi Team,

Got an issue/noticed a potential flaw within the Ring (iOS) app which has ultimately made me decide to raise a post about it.

I’ve been using Ring products for many years now (minimum 5 years) and I’ve essentially “dealt” with the whole bombardment of motion notifications. I’ve recently purchased the Ring Indoor cam and it’s already starting to “annoy” me as I’m constantly getting notifications (as it’s located in the living room).

After thoroughly going through the Ring app, I went ahead and set motion schedules to avoid motion notifications for certain times of the day. Then it occurred to me, what would happen if the “Modes” change from Home to Away. Would motion notifications kick back in?

Took the dog out for walk and due to geofencing (great feature btw), the Mode changed from Home to Away. Had my other half stay in and walked past the device a few times but no notifications. Disabled Motion schedules and motion notifications on my phone resumed for that device.

Is there a way that the Ring developers can make a specific rule that when modes changes from Home to Away (for example), all forms of motion schedules/disabled notifications etc becomes re-enabled? (until modes have changed back to Home)

I don’t know about you but I’d like to have my cameras notifying me of motion (inside & outside) when no one is inside the property : )

Any forms of assistance would be appreciated if there is a know fix/work around.

Kind regards.

1 Like

Hi @A_D_W495. Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding the Geofence and Modes features. To clarify, Geofencing will give you a reminder to swap your system’s Mode whenever you leave the perimeter. It will not automatically swap the Mode, and it’s important to note that the Modes feature does not control notifications. You can manually swap notifications on or off in the Ring App, or you can use a Motion Schedule or Motion Snooze to control the notifications you receive.

As we value our neighbors’ feedback, we’ve created a Feature Request board. Feel free to add this suggestion about controlling the notifications via Modes and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile: