Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
G
Motion notification fine but doorbell notifications only 50% of the time
hardwired-battery-video-doorbell
notifications
I have a Ring 4 Doorbell and what we are noticing is that we get all the motion notifications fine but when someone presses the doorbell the doorbell notification only comes through to our phone 50% of the time. We've tested this over the last week and the doorbell-press notifications are very hit and miss. What is really strange is that the motion of the person walking towards the door triggers a motion notification fine and then they press the door bell and it's pot luck if the ring notification comes through. I spoke to the Ring technical team and the man told me that this is because Ring cannot send two notifications within 30second to a minute!!! This makes no sense at all as how can someone ring the door bell without first triggering a motion notification. The technical support person didn't seem to be able to understand this. I tried explaining as many ways as I could think but he just didn't get that you need to approach the doorbell before pushing it. Whist on the phone to support I tested the door bell by walking up the drive (motion notification appeared on my phone!) and rang the door bell. We waited 3 minutes between tests and tested it 5 times in total. Out of the 5 times we tested it, 4 times the door bell notification came through and once it didn't, in every case the motion notification came through fine. The support guy wouldn't let me off the phone until I said that the problem was resolved, which it clearly isn't if it only tells us someone is pressing the bell 4 fifths of the time. His answer: "that's the way the product is designed.....are you happy that the case has been resolved?" NO!! A very frustrating call. For reference, Internet speeds at the doorbell are 12 download and 10 upload so not a network issue. Does anyone else have this problem and if so do you know what going on, how to resolve it and bring my blood pressure down? Thanks in advance.

04-06-2021 06:33:02

Responses (6)

M
Sorry to hear about this, @GuyBunce! We appreciate you sharing your experience with us. We are always working to improve our neighbor experience, and we greatly value feedback such as yours. I will be sharing this with our teams here so they can investigate further. We appreciate your patience in the meantime. :)

14-06-2021 04:25:58

G
@Marley_Ring any news on an answer? Quite some time has passed so I thought i'd ask

22-06-2021 09:16:51

M
Hi there, @GuyBunce! After checking further with our teams here, the notifications for Video Doorbells (motion and rings) should be operating as intended. When triggering a motion event and a ring event at the same time, both will attempt to notify. Often times you Video Doorbell will video the initiating event, and the notification of both will depend on connection and processing variables (wifi / mobile device). In regards to the time between motion or ring event notifications, you should always be notified of an event being captured by your Video Doorbell, as long as the settings support this. Confirming your device alerts toggles and motion settings in the Ring app, will ensure for optimal detection. As for a physical ringing of the Doorbell, this should notify as long as there is not a recently initiated event in progress. Check out our [Community post about RSSI](https://community.ring.com/t/how-it-works-your-ring-device-rssi-good-vs-poor/229) for tips on improving signal strength and communication from your Ring device. If these concerns persist, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-us/articles/213608406). We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 [here](https://support.ring.com/hc/en-gb/articles/360041597471) to see how to contact support.

24-06-2021 06:13:03

E
I have the exact same problem and exact same type of customer service. So frustrating!!!!

15-07-2021 10:33:20

H
I am having the same issue. I also have to open my app regularly otherwise I will not receive any notifications at all! I very rarely recieve a notification when the doorbell is pressed too. Not the quality I expected when paying as much as we have!

12-08-2021 07:08:50

I
I have the exact same problem. I've tried switching channels, Reset the Doorbell, Reset the camera's, Logged out and in again. Rebooted my modem. I have no issues with signal regards to internet speed. Im most disappointed with Ring... I've invested in a large kit, several camera's chimes etc. I feel like throwing the whole kit in the bin. Possible the worst investment Ive done in a long time. Great looking system, but a big pile of shite regards to reliability...

25-09-2021 07:22:17

I
I have the exact same problem. I've tried switching channels, Reset the Doorbell, Reset the camera's, Logged out and in again. Rebooted my modem. I have no issues with signal regards to internet speed. Im most disappointed with Ring... I've invested in a large kit, several camera's chimes etc. I feel like throwing the whole kit in the bin. Possible the worst investment Ive done in a long time. Great looking system, but a big pile of shite regards to reliability...

25-09-2021 07:22:17

U
Finally, after an hour in "Advanced Technical Support" I can report on my solution! Maybe that's the solution for someone with the same problem! A notification from the doorbell does not always work if it is recording a video that was triggered by another camera at the time the bell button was pressed. In my case, a camera in my carport was linked to the doorbell in its settings. Whenever someone was in the carport, the doorbell would trigger video recording, meaning I wasn't notified when someone rang the doorbell. According to the support, no devices may be linked to the bell. (Settings under "Devices" -> "The other device" -> "Connected devices" -> Remove doorbell connection)

03-04-2023 03:01:56

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User