Motion Detector always detecting

My motion detector always is detecting in home and disarmed mode, the settings are turned off for both modes. Do i have a bad motion detector? Has anyone had this happen, I just installed the system.

@BobbyV03

Your Motion Detector is always detecting motion … that’s correct, it is suppose to. It is not a bad detector.

The key is what do you prefer to do with the Detections. You said, “…settings are turned off for both modes.” I’m guessing that your are referring to the “Home”, and “Away” MODE SETTINGS? And again I’m guessing when you say that it is always detecting, you mean you are getting either “Notification Push” (message on your phone) or you are hearing “Alert-Chirps”?

If so, this link might help clarify what is going on:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Still-getting-motion-detection-alerts-with-motion-detection/m-p/48890#M4869

Maybe you are mixing 'apples & oranges."

In the “Disarmed”, " Home", and “Away” MODE SETTINGS, you are selecting if you do/do not want your device (your motion detector) to activate the alarm system in each MODE. But, the device itself will always continue to function, whether or not you choose for it to be used to trigger an alarm. The Disarmed/Home/Away MODES have nothing to do with device Notifications or Alert-Chirps.

To change “Notification Push” to your phone, from the Dashboard select the upper-left ‘3 horizontal lines’ to get to the Main Menu, then select “Device”, then “Alarm Base Station”, and then select the Detection Device that you wish to adjust (in your case, the Motion Detector). On this page, you’ll see the current Battery status and right below the Battery you’ll see the “Motion Alerts” toggle switch. Toggling this ON or OFF determines if you receive a “Notification Push” or not. Yours is currently toggled ON. To stop receiving notifications, toggle it OFF.

Below the Motion Alert toggle, you can also modify Alert-sounds you hear, by selecting “Chirp Tones.” You should have several sound choices, like Wind Chime, Harp, etc., to include NONE if you don’t want any sounds when the device detects motions.

So now you can tailor the Motion Devices to best fit your needs:

• MODE SETTINGS"Disarmed", “Home”, and “Away” determine if the device is used to activate the Alarm in each MODE.

• MOTION ALERT toggle switch control Notification Push to your phone.

• CHIRP TONES control choice of sounds you hear (including silent with NONE) on the Base Station, key pads, and phone. Note: when someone logs into the Ring App on their smartphone with the OWNER (Master) login and password, this smartphone is the Master phone App, and controls the CHIRP choices heard on their Phone, the Base Station, and Key Pads. When some uses a SHARED USER logs in their phone, the MOTION ALERTS and CHIRP TONE can be changed to that Shared User preferences, but their choices do not alter the Master OWNER settings.

Most people set their Motion Detectors to Notifications-OFF and Chirp Tones-NONE. But two examples of tailoring different settings:

• I tailored one of my Motion Detector in a room set with Motion & Alert-Chirp ON … to help me catch when my dog sneaks into a room that he knows is off-limits.

• Some people prefer some tailored combination of Motion & Alert-Chirp toggled ON /OFF for the Motion Detectors certain areas they normally won’t enter while sleeping, like downstairs. So then, even though those detectors will not activate the alarms in HOME MODE, they have ‘peace of mind’ that nobody is creeping around silently downstairs.

I hope this clears things up for you. :slight_smile:

In the “Disarmed”, " Home", and “Away” MODE SETTINGS, you are selecting if you do/do not want your device (your motion detector) to activate the alarm system in each MODE. But, the device itself will always continue to function, whether or not you choose for it to be used to trigger an alarm. The Disarmed/Home/Away MODES have nothing to do with device Notifications or Alert-Chirps.

To change “Notification Push” to your phone, from the Dashboard select the upper-left ‘3 horizontal lines’ to get to the Main Menu, then select “Device”, then “Alarm Base Station”, and then select the Detection Device that you wish to adjust (in your case, the Motion Detector). On this page, you’ll see the current Battery status and right below the Battery you’ll see the “Motion Alerts” toggle switch. Toggling this ON or OFF determines if you receive a “Notification Push” or not. Yours is currently toggled ON. To stop receiving notifications, toggle it OFF.

Below the Motion Alert toggle, you can also modify Alert-sounds you hear, by selecting “Chirp Tones.” You should have several sound choices, like Wind Chime, Harp, etc., to include NONE if you don’t want any sounds when the device detects motions.

• MODE SETTINGS"Disarmed", “Home”, and “Away” determine if the device is used to activate the Alarm in each MODE.

• CHIRP TONES control choice of sounds you hear (including silent with NONE) on the Base Station, key pads, and phone. Note: when someone logs into the Ring App on their smartphone with the OWNER (Master) login and password, this smartphone is the Master phone App, and controls the CHIRP choices heard on their Phone, the Base Station, and Key Pads. When some uses a SHARED USER logs in their phone, the MOTION ALERTS and CHIRP TONE can be changed to that Shared User preferences, but their choices do not alter the Master OWNER settings.

Most people set their Motion Detectors to Notifications-OFF and Chirp Tones-NONE. But two examples of tailoring different settings:

• I tailored one of my Motion Detector in a room set with Motion & Alert-Chirp ON … to help me catch when my dog sneaks into a room that he knows is off-limits.

• Some people prefer some tailored combination of Motion & Alert-Chirp toggled ON /OFF for the Motion Detectors certain areas they normally won’t enter while sleeping, like downstairs. So then, even though those detectors will not activate the alarms in HOME MODE, they have ‘peace of mind’ that nobody is creeping around silently downstairs.

1 Like

Ooooooops … I apologize for the “echo” double-repeat text in the above post. I was “Cutting & Pasting” into the comment section, and I must of had a double-click, finger-stutter occur, accidentially pasting it twice. My bad. :manfrustrated:

@Boone wrote:

@BobbyV03

Your Motion Detector is always detecting motion … that’s correct, it is suppose to. It is not a bad detector.

The key is what do you prefer to do with the Detections. You said, “…settings are turned off for both modes.” I’m guessing that your are referring to the “Home”, and “Away” MODE SETTINGS? And again I’m guessing when you say that it is always detecting, you mean you are getting either “Notification Push” (message on your phone) or you are hearing “Alert-Chirps”?

If so, this link might help clarify what is going on:

https://community.ring.com/t5/Ring-Alarm/Still-getting-motion-detection-alerts-with-motion-detection/m-p/48890#M4869

• MODE SETTINGS“Disarmed”, “Home”, and “Away” determine if the device is used to activate the Alarm in each MODE.

• CHIRP TONES control choice of sounds you hear (including silent with NONE) on the Base Station, key pads, and phone. Note: when someone logs into the Ring App on their smartphone with the OWNER (Master) login and password, this smartphone is the Master phone App, and controls the CHIRP choices heard on the Base Station, and Key Pads. When some uses a SHARED USER logs in their phone, the MOTION ALERTS and CHIRP TONE can be changed to that Shared User preferences, but their choices do not alter the Master OWNER settings.

BobbyV03

Curious to hear if this clarified & helped you?

1 Like

@BobbyV03

Curious to hear if this clarified & helped you?

I’m not the original poster but this clarified things for me.

Although I have to say the behaviour is a little strange. I would have thought that Disarming the system would normally stop phone notifications too.

And that triggers a follow up question. It seems like if I want to stop notifications being triggered on all devices (for example if as a one-off, someone is active outside the house during the time the devices are set to notify) then I have to go into each device individually and switch off motion notifications. And then when I want them back on I again have to go into each device individually.

Is there no way of switching all notifications on or off at once? That would probably be more normal behaviour.

1 Like

Have you tried “snoozing” for a period of time? I’ve done it for security cameras when my neighbor is mowing the lawn. I’m new to Ring so maybe someone more savvy can let you know if this option works for your needs.