Motion detection

Why is it that since the motion detection engine has been updated that I am now getting inundated with false motion alerts ?

I do not subscribe to the Ring Protect service as I have HD CCTV cameras which store their output for 90 days live and then are archived to DVD.

I only use Ring as a video doorbell and, until recently, as motion detection for the front door.

The marketing blurb says that the number of activations will not increase with the new engine. This is blatantly not true as mine have increased tenfold and I am sure it is just a marketing ploy to get people to subscribe and then be able to enable “people motion” detection.

Hi @yorks_flyer! Excessive motion alerts are often best resolved through fine tuning motion settings such as zones, sensitivity, frequency, and even scheduling. Sometimes an environment might feature a frequent trigger such as vehicles, reflections, or a nearby heat source. Of course, these settings and responses to environment can also depend on the VIdeo Doorbell model you have.

If you feel that you are getting completely false alerts, and adjust motion settings did not improve, try removing and reinstalling the Ring app to ensure it is working optimally and alerting properly. If these false motions all result in a video recording, this will mean that something is likely triggering the motion. Feel free to let us know how this goes, as we are happy to assist further! :slight_smile:

My primary point was that up until the update to the motion detection engine I was not receiving any false alerts.

The environment hasn’t changed since the installation of the doorbell, except now I have disabled motion detection.

I fail to understand how reinstalling the Ring app on all the devices that it currently reports to will fix the increased motion detection alerts surely that is a function of the doorbell not the app? As I explained in my original post I do not subscribe to the recording service therefore none are made.