Motion detection zones have been reduced in size and no longer match live view

Why is the camera not monitoring 1/3 of the view?
Why does the monitoring window seem to be getting smaller? The “view” screen has not changed. So why has the monitored area decreased so much?
When I first purchased this camera, it would provide alerts for across the street so I had to decrease the monitor zone. Now it doesn’t even provide monitoring coverage for a normal sized driveway. I noticed this change over a year ago and it seems Ring did this intentionally during an update. It also appears the zones have decreased once again. Vehicles in the driveway that were fully monitored are no longer!
What the heck is going on? Why has Ring not fixed this issue since it goes back 3 years now!
Both advanced motion detection and regular detection do not provide the coverage it did when first purchased. Now, the monitored areas have decreased again!
I never would have invested so much in this system if I’d known that the ability to do the basic job I purchased it for would be altered by Ring. Most companies utilize updates to improve their products, not negate the reason for the purchase all together.
Ring….what is your plan to fix this issue? Investing more money in Ring cameras to provide the monitoring coverage I had when I first purchased the cameras is NOT going to happen.

1 Like

First off, I am a newbie so please be gentle. Both the doorbell and flood light camera, that I purchased a couple of weeks ago, state the range for motion/person detection is 30 feet. I used a laser range finder and confirmed person detection was 30 feet but motion detection was 41 feet. What range did your equipment originally work for and what is the measured distance now? Also be aware that the two devices I have detect cars as motion only but the moment someone steps out it switches to person detected. And people are detected as motion only from 30 to 41 feet.

I don’t know the specific range, it’s a ring spotlight cam. The preview picture extends to across the street and beyond. We have our notification range adjusted to monitor only our vehicles in the driveway since we don’t want notifications every time a car drives down our street. Even 2 weeks ago we’d get notified when a delivery truck parked in front of our home or someone was walking their dog. Now we don’t get those at all. The ability to monitor our driveway has literally been cut in half. I doubt I would’ve even noticed it if the motion detection hadn’t gone from 20-30 per day down to maybe 2.
I also have ours set to distinguish between motion and humans so that we only get notified if a person is detected.

1 Like

Looking back at my videos, it looks like whatever was changed occurred on Sunday night 8/6.

Alright. With all that information in mind I would recommend two things based on how those sensors work and the setting that are available.

1. Clean the entire surface of the camera. It is possible that a film of dirt may be causing the issue.
  2. The motion sensitivity may have been changed.

For #2, go to that camera, click motion settings, click motion sensitivity, set it to max and click Save.

Just noticed this on all of my Stick Up cams. Looking at previous posts from people reporting the same issue it appears that the people on this forum who supposedly ‘represent’ Ring say that this is an ‘Intended’ feature. What absolute NONSENSE. Ring have introduced a ‘change’ as this WAS NOT present when I first purchased and installed the cameras . Ring seem happy to allow community members to continually report the issue and then choose to do nothing about it (other than wait for 30 days of inactivity and then close the post). absolutely disgraceful way to treat people that have purchased a Ring product.

2 Likes

Just noticed (on all of my Stick Up cams) that Motion detection zones have been reduced in size and no longer match live view. Looking at previous posts from people reporting the same issue, it appears that there are people on this forum who supposedly ‘represent’ Ring and say it is an ‘Intended’ feature. What absolute NONSENSE. Its clear to me that Ring have introduced a ‘change’ as this WAS NOT the case when I first purchased and installed the cameras . Ring seem happy to allow community members to continually report the issue and then choose to do simply nothing about it (other than ignore the complaints and then wait for 30 days of inactivity before closing the post). absolutely disgraceful way to treat people that have purchased a Ring product. Please resolve.

2 Likes

any response Ring ? I would appreciate your thoughts / comments on this

1 Like

Hi @MarkB2908. As you’ve mentioned, Ring representatives, like myself, have already addressed this concern in other threads on this topic. The view that the devices have for Motion Zones is accurately reflected in the Ring app. The field of view for the camera is larger than the area of detection that our Motion Zones detect motion in. Thank you for your feedback on this.

1 Like

I have had my 2 stick up cameras for around 8 months. Since installing them, the motion detection zones have changed. I bought one camera specifically for monitoring my car. It worked perfectly for several months, but something has changed. The detection zones screen no longer gives me the same field of view as it did before, and the camera does now not monitor my car. Can you please confirm that something has changed. You have avoided the question in the answers above. I understand the point being made (that the detection zone is smaller than the field of view), but the software has clearly changed in the last few months. The detection zone screen has changed shape, and reduced in field of view. What worked a few months ago, no longer does, rendering this device useless. Please confirm that the software has changed, rather than suggest it has just always been like this, as it evidentially has not or I would never have been able to set up the device to meet my needs in the first place. Why has this change been made?

2 Likes

I have had my 2 stick up cameras for around 8 months. Since installing them, the motion detection zones have changed. I bought one camera specifically for monitoring my car. It worked perfectly for several months, but something has changed. The detection zones screen no longer gives me the same field of view as it did before, and the camera does now not monitor my car. Can you please confirm that something has changed. You have avoided the question in the answers above. I understand the point being made (that the detection zone is smaller than the field of view), but the software has clearly changed in the last few months. The detection zone screen has changed shape, and reduced in field of view. What worked a few months ago, no longer does, rendering this device useless. Please confirm that the software has changed, rather than suggest it has just always been like this, as it evidentially has not or I would never have been able to set up the device to meet my needs in the first place. Why has this change been made?

2 Likes

I have just noticed the same thing.
For some reason we missed recording something that should have been captured last night so I went in to check things and noticed the zone for our stick up cam has definitely changed from what it used to be. This change was not by me and I have no way of adjusting it now.
Our door bell camera still seems to be as it was and showing full area but not the stick up cam.
Ring have def changed something with a software update and seem to be ignoring this issue which appears to be raised quite a bit.
It would be great if they could push an update to put it back they way they had it previously.
Looking forward to a response.

2 Likes

I have noticed the same thing also as we missed an incident that should have been captured normally. This has been changed through some kind of update as it used to be different.

Would be great for ring to push n update to revert this feature back to how it was at purchase and allow the full zone. This is not a hardware issue as it has been changed since I owned the camera so unless ring have changed my camera hardware without my knowledge, it can only have changed via software update.

Please respond as to why this changed and when it will be reverted back.

3 Likes

You say the motion detection are has been reduced… why? It now is so small it won’t even detect the trunk of my car. If this is what the future is I’ll be accelerate my switch to eufy cameras.

2 Likes

This issue still persists with silence and a wait until no responses are made for 30 days so that it is no longer commentable. I propose that anyone who is displeased with this reduced zone, change any reviews of the product down to a lower rating review, or leave a disfavorable review if one has not been left yet. At the least it may prevent future buyers from the same issues we suffer.

2 Likes

Sorry Tom but you haven’t addressed anything. You HAVE confirmed however, that the motion detection zones are smaller than the visible picture. This absolutely was NOT the case when I purchased these cameras. As such it must have been a change that RING has subsequently made (perhaps through a firmware update). WHY ? please can you explain ? I now have a device that has a lower specification then when I originally purchased it. Please tell everyone on here how this is good for Ring customers and the wider community ?

1 Like

Ring appear to change the specification of devices (using firmware updates) without advising users. In some cases this results in reduced ‘capability’ and a device that is not the same spec as when originally purchased by the consumer. Ring seem happy to allow community members to continually report issues and then choose to do simply nothing about them (other than ignore complaints and then wait for 30 days of inactivity before closing the offending post). absolutely disgraceful way to treat people that have purchased a Ring product (in some cases several Ring products)…

2 Likes

Hi @MarkB2908. The Motion Detection zone on the device is accurately reflected by the drawable zones in the Ring app. When a device is properly positioned, and the Motion Zones and settings are accurately configured, the very small portion of the Motion Zones that is “not visible” in the normal camera view, is either a portion of the sky, or outside of the motion detection area. If you are having a specific problem with motion detection, feel free to share a screenshot of your cameras view, along with your mounting height and motion settings, so we can address your concern.

1 Like

As has been said before, the motion detection zones have most definitely been changed since purchased. At time or installation I was able to adjust the zone of motion detection anywhere in the field of view. This has SINCE been changed with no advice or explanation.

Why is this so and how is this not a decrease in the camera capability since purchase ?

3 Likes

Thanks Tom but you have missed the point completely. The issue here is that Ring appear to have ‘CHANGED’ the specification of these devices (using a firmware update). This has been done without advising users beforehand, and Ring choose not to admit to making this CHANGE after it has been implemented. This CHANGE has resulted in reduced ‘capability’ and a device that is not the same specification as when I originally purchased it. It is now less-capable because the area of detection has been reduced in size (compared to the camera when this was first purchased). Why have you done this ? please can you roll this back so that I have a device which is the same spec as the one I bought ?

1 Like