Motion Detection zone doesn't fill screen

I have a stickup cam protecting my campervan. The default motion detection zone doesn’t cover the whole of the visible live view screen as can be seen in this combined screenshot. Is there any way of extending that zone vertically?

The top view is the live view, and the bottom view is the extent I can edit the motion detection zone. The photo has not been cropped, that’s a screenshot of the extent on my editing area, and I can’t drag the zone any higher.

Hi @Beara. You are seeing this because the field of view that the camera sees is greater than the field of view that the motion detection is capable of. The Motion Zone will only allow you to create a zone within the area where the motion detection is capable of detection.

1 Like

Ok, that makes sense, thank you

1 Like

No problem, @Beara! Happy to help clear things up.

That may be the reason, but it’s not a good enough reason for me. The motion zones need to be everywhere the camera sees. This is a very annoying shortcoming of the product.

2 Likes

Experiencing the same issue. Terrible limitation especially for top-down direction mounts.

What is more the difference between life/recorded field of view and the motion detection field of view is not reflected in the specs:

Field of View

130° field-of-view (diagonal)
110° field-of-view (horizontal)
57° field-of-view (vertical)

2 Likes

Agree with others that this is a major shortcoming of the product to not detect motion for the entire field of view that is displayed. What were the product managers smoking when they decided that this was going to be ok?

Their reasoning is BS tbh. I’ve had these cameras for a while and the motion zones picked up the entire field of view and now it doesn’t. So unless the motion sensor was replaced by ring on my property without my knowledge, then it’s an update that was pushed out and literally no one wanted.

2 Likes

I just logged in because of the same reason. This is a newer issue because me ring cameras always gave me options for the FULL camera view and now it’s not. Software update? Not loving it at all.

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.