Motion detection inconsistent

I have the 2nd gen video doorbell and I’ve had issues with it since it was first installed. First, the app notifications are very unreliable, but I assume that’s an issue I need to resolve within my phone settings. If I’ve used the app recently, I’ll usually get notified fine, but otherwise I probably won’t get any notification.
Second issue, the motion detection is useless. Sometimes it picks up minor motion just fine, so I know it’s not a sensitivity issue, but occasionally someone will walk right up to my door, knock, I’ll answer and accept a parcel and they’ll walk away, and it doesn’t detect or record anything at all. Is this a known issue and is there anything I can do about it? There is no motion detected before or after these events, so it’s not an issue with the frequency settings. The doorbell is very close to my router, so I also don’t think it’s a signal problem.

1 Like

I am sorry I don’t have an answer to your problem, but I too am having very inconsistent motion detection. I am hoping your thread will help us both.

1 Like

When it comes to optimizing motion detection, the best settings to check first are Motion Frequency and Smart Alerts. Motion Frequency can change when the battery level is low for a battery-powered Ring device. Motion Scheduling and Camera Modes features are also worth checking in your Ring app, as these can change how you receive notifications.

Lastly, we always recommend reviewing your Motion Zones and Motion Sensitivity to make adjustments as needed. Everyone’s home is different, and it can take some trial and error to find the combination of settings that works best for you. For more in-depth assistance with your device’s settings, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. You can also get in touch with our support team on Facebook @Ring.

Thank you for the reply, but unfortunately that does not help at all.

My original post said “occasionally someone will walk right up to my door, knock, I’ll answer and accept a parcel and they’ll walk away, and it doesn’t detect or record anything at all…There is no motion detected before or after these events, so it’s not an issue with the frequency settings.” so your advice to check the settings does not help. I have already done this and it hasn’t made any difference.

1 Like

Hi @didr. If the above mentioned suggestions didn’t seem to improve your Motion Detection, I would suggest reaching out to our support team. They can troubleshoot this with you in real time and determine what is the cause for the inconsistency. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

I have the same issue. Very inconsistent motion detection and notifications. I’ve checked all settings several times.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.