Motion Alerts Inconsistent

People Only is not available on the wireless (battery operated) versions of the doorbell, I don’t believe.

I’m having the same issue and I’ve tried all sorts of combinations of zones, sensitivity, frequency. It has never captured the mail carrier (installed almost 2 weeks ago). Sees me backing out of the drive but rarely returning. Captured the UPS delivery guy at my door but didn’t capture his truck pulling up. Today it saw a truck leaving my curb but didn’t capture when it showed up. Many time captures people and/or vehicles as they leave the field of view but not when they enter. I’ve made many trips outside just to test whether or not it responds. Sometimes yes, sometimes no.

I’m about ready to return it, but came here hoping for a solution. If so many other people are having the same issue, it must be the device, not us.

The option is on my battery-operated device.

No suggestions. But I’ll say ME TOO!!

My Ring Pro will pick up rapid cloud cover on a sunny day. It will pick up a cat walking to my porch in the early morning or night. It will pick up the shadows on the wall from my tree on a windy day.

But occasionally it won’t pick up a delivery in the day or me going outside to pick it up later in the evening.

1 Like

I saw this, and had to reply!

There have been times when we could not determine what set off the alert. But with your post about shadows from branches or clouds passing overhead, I’m sure that’s what it was on the occasions we couldn’t see anything else.

Yesterday, I forgot to take it off People Only mode before I left the house in the early afternoon to run an errand. While it alerted when I pulled out of the garage to leave, it did not alert when I pulled into the driveway and garage upon returning. That’s when I checked and saw that I forgot to take it off People Only.

So, going back to one of my original questions: The system sees my car pulling out of the garage as a person and therefore alerts. But, it doesn’t see my car pulling into the driveway or garage as a person? Strange.

And repeating myself, the reason we even have it on People Only after dark is that otherwise, it will pick up the headlights of every passing car. Having to switch the mode twice a day - every day - is tiresome and sometimes I forget.

Similar issue here. I have gone through the wizard several time to tweak the settings. My Ring 2 will pick up the occasional delivery truck passing by (my street is about 50 feet from the door), but will NOT pick up cars pulling INTO the driveway! I’m more concerned with who pulls up to my house than who rides by! I think I should try a different product in the future, as Ring doesn’t seem to want to fix these problems.

2 Likes

Poor answer I have trail and errored this to death It does not work properly. System should work better. 20% of the time mine gives no motion alerts at all. This is a Not Ready for Prime Time Doorbell

@Marley_Ring wrote:

Hey neighbors! The best way to fine-tune motion detection is through trial and error. As each environment differs from the next and areas can change from day time to night time, it’s best to make adjustments to settings until motion is working as desired.

Many neighbors find use out of the sensitivity slider and the “people only” setting. This will assist if vehicle traffic is setting off motion too often. I recommend also using all 3 available zones to draw. Having multiple zones versus one big zone can emphasize movement across each zone. Keep in mind not to overlap any zones as this could affect detection as well. I hope this helps! :slight_smile:

Me Too System is largely Inadequate and not what its supposed to be

@Babw wrote:

We are having the same issue. No alert is received when someone pulls into our driveway or walks up to our door. Only get an alert when someone rings the doorbell. Not what we were expecting when we purchased this. Frustrated! Any suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thank you.

1 Like

Play around and readjust every so often is Not an Answer and also is Not how a proper system works, sounds like an excuse for a Bad System

@Chelsea_Ring wrote:

Hey @KP6Five and @Babw. Have you tried playing around with your Motion Wizard settings? Sometimes you need to readjust these every so often to ensure the configuration is up to date and as it should be. In addition, do you have motion frequency set to frequent or standard? Sometimes on standard, if there was a recent motion event, the next motion event that may follow right after it may not happen since the device has been “snoozed” from a recent event triggering it on. I say to play around with the Motion Wizard settings, test our new motion verification (on or off) if you have it available, and turning your Motion Frequency to frequent!

Here, Here. same opinion

Mine Too, Same Issue

Yep, same Issue, I am Unhappy Tooooooo

1 Like

The People Only mode and Motion Verification updates rendered my Doorbell 2 useless, my request for support on this forum did not get any responses. So I tweaked it over a period of 2 months and have managed to get it to work, almost reliably. Without getting too deep into the flawed motion detection algorithm, here are some suggestions that may help you:

1. Always, always mount the wedge that points the Doorbell downward, whether house is on a hill or not

2. Disable Motion Verification, does not work and causes it to miss motion recording (because the processing is too slow)

3. Never choose “house is facing the street”, it will then let you choose how far you want it to monitor

Confirmed observations (Doorbell 2):

a. People Motion detection head-on only works at a 3-4’ distance max. Crosswise is more sensitive.

b. Detection changes based on lighting conditions (ex: Doorbell in shade and a sunlit detection area or vice versa)

c. Since Ring hides its updates (you never know when you got one), if it was working fine and does not now, then assume you got an update and start over.

1. The detection pattern is not a right-angled triangle pointing down as shown in the manual (Doorbell 2). It is a narrow cylinder that flares gradually toward its max distance

Hope this helps…

1 Like

Same problem here. My stick up cam can’t detect my car when i pull into the driveway. Customer service can’t solve my problem.

It worked fine before having one zone…so it’s an issue on your side. I’d fix it before people just dump it all together!

Same issue here. We have two “Ring Video Doorbell – newest generation, 2020 release – 1080p HD video” which capture the driveway. One is to the side and one at the end of the driveway. Both pick up cars leaving do NOT pick up when cars pull in. Can someone else from RING please provide a more complete response than “trial and error”?

Hi neighbors. Inconsistent Motion is going to be dependent on the settings you have enabled on your Ring Doorbell. Things like Motion Zones, Motion Frequency, Mounting/Placement and your specific environment are all factors that will ultimately determine how your Ring Doorbell works for you. I would recommend adjusting those settings to see what works best for you.

It is also important to note that things like your RSSI and wifi interference can also contribute to intermittent/inconsistent motion detection. If this is the case, rebooting your internet router may improve your concern.

In the event that you’ve tried all these suggestions to no avail, it would be best to contact our support team so they can dive deeper into this for you and find a solution. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please visit here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

My neighbor’s car across the street was broken into this past weekend. Ring picked up nothing. A car turns around on my driveway, ring picks up nothing. Sometimes it picks up all kinds of things. I don’t understand, but this was the reason I bought this. Two of them and seems useless, but I will try these configuration changes.

1 Like

Yes! Same thing happened with my Ring as well. It picks up cars going by but will not pick up cars pulling in my driveway; however, it did pick up my wife’s car backing out of the garage yesterday. The bad thing is that the street is NOT in the detect zone but my driveway is! I’ve been tweaking the motion zones and moving the motion sensitivity up and down and just when I think it’s working it does the same crap. What’s the purpose of configuring all these zones when it does the opposite of what you want it to do?

3/25/23

I was wondering if I was the only one experiencing this issue of street traffic but no driveway detection. I called the Teck line, and he tweaked some settings. It worked for one day. So, I called again several times after to correct it and each representative had done something different to no satisfaction. When they put me through to the real technical assistant, he advised that I purchase a newer model since the one I had was out of warranty. They’re probably monitoring this message board to see who’s dissatisfied with their products.