Motion Aerts by Mode

Is it possible to disable motion alerts by mode (without hitting snooze all the time)? I still want to detect motion and record whatever motion is detected (e.g. while Home or Disarmed), but I don’t need to receive an alert every time. I do, however, want to receive a notification while I’m AWAY.

I’ve seen settings to disable motion detection by mode (not what I want, just want to disable the alerts).

If I disable motion alerts altogether on a device, I won’t be notified while in away mode.

If I disable push notifications on my mobile device, I won’t be notified either.

Thanks for the help!

1 Like

@HamiltonNeil wrote:

Is it possible to disable motion alerts by mode (without hitting snooze all the time)? I still want to detect motion and record whatever motion is detected (e.g. while Home or Disarmed), but I don’t need to receive an alert every time. I do, however, want to receive a notification while I’m AWAY.

I’ve seen settings to disable motion detection by mode (not what I want, just want to disable the alerts).

If I disable motion alerts altogether on a device, I won’t be notified while in away mode.

If I disable push notifications on my mobile device, I won’t be notified either.

Good question. Short answer is it in NOT currently possible to disable CAMERA motion alerts (notifications and/or Alert-chirp sound) by using the Alarm Modes. But you can use Alarm Mode to enable /disable Cameras operating.

To clarify and ensure we are clear on not mixing 'apples & oranges."

As Ring currently has it setup, in the “Disarmed”, " Home", and “Away” MODE SETTINGS, you are selecting if you do or do not want your sensor devices (contact or motion devices) to activate the alarm system in each MODE. But with Camera devices , MODEs only can be set to record or not record motion (either by movement or initiating “Live View”) because camera motion don’t never ‘trigger’ your alarm system, only sensors do. And, therefore MODES can just ‘disable’ or ‘enable’ cameras. The Disarmed/Home/Away MODES have nothing to do with device Notifications or Alert-Chirps.

“Notification Push” (the written messages sent to your phone) are on the camera’s page where there is the “Motion Alert” toggle switch. Toggling this ON or OFF determines if you receive a “Notification Push” or not.

Modify Alert-sounds you hear, are controlled by Device Settings > Alert Settings > App Alert Tones. There you’ll have several sound choices, like Wind Chime, Harp, etc., to include Silent if you don’t want any sounds when the device detects motions.

So in your case, you know the MODEs cannot currently control the Notification pushes nor the Alert- Chirp sounds. Currently, you can either leave Notification and Alert-Chirp in some combination-state of always ON or OFF.

Least now, you have a ‘Master Snooze’ (the Moon Icon at the top of the Dashboard) select the bar "Snooze Motion) for the length of time you set on the slider. You won’t receive any Notifications or Alert-chirp sound until snooze time expires (currently 4 hours). And you’ll also see the Moon Icon appear in the lower-right corner on all your cam video displays. Otherwise, without the “Master Snooze”, you would have to go selecting each individual camera (a giant pain if you have multiple cams).

Maybe one day Ring will provide an additional switch toggle switch on the Master Snooze page, to snooze indefinitely until you re-enable (so you don’t have to Master snooze every 4 hours). But then you would still have to finger-tap selection activations (selecting the arm MODE and then deal with the Master snooze.)

But if Ring installed an additional feature, to snooze depending on the arm MODE , then you would have what you are looking for. Alas, it’s not currently available. . . . at least not that I am aware of. :slight_smile:

1 Like