Mesh WiFi & Ring Don’t Mix Well

I upgraded my WiFi network to the Eero mesh WiFi system which has been a blessing with moving from room to room and not having to connect to different WiFi names and better connectivity with my fiber optic (1gig) internet plan.

Shortly after installing it, I noticed my Ring Video Doorbell Pro doesn’t always connect live video. After googling about mesh WiFi and Ring, I discovered Ring devices are designed for 2.4ghz, NOT 5ghz. This is a problem!

Can my current Video Doorbell Pro get upgraded, via software update, to use 5ghz or does the newer version of my product support 5ghz now??

Hi @Brownbear324. The Ring Pro does support dual-band wifi. What is the RSSI for your Ring Pro? It would also be good to check for any possible causes for wifi interference, as this could be the problem. If you have a good RSSI with no interference, reach out to our support team to take a closer look into this for you.

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I have a ring doorbell (2nd Gen) and having similar issues, I have a mesh wifi with multiple wifi repeaters, my router is about 2m from the doorbell but I have found that my doorbell seems to prefer to connect to the wifi repeater furthest away (currently 50m away in the garden on the other side of the house to the doorbell). Any idea why? is this a software issue with how the ring device decides which is the best wifi signal?

Hi @Pitcher. What is the RSSI for the doorbell? Also, if your router does some type of automatic network switching from 5GHz to 2.4GHz, try turning that feature off. I hope this helps.

Hi Tom, currently my doorbell has RSSI-80, it has connected to the wifi repeater which is the furthest away. I have checked my router and I cant see that feature, the doorbell is using 2.4Ghz, as I said the router is about 2m from the doorbell but it always connects to furthest away repeater.

Hi @Pitcher. An RSSI of -80 is extremely low. I suggest adjust some setting on your router to see if you can improve this. This Help Center article here will have some great information on how to do this.