Maximum mounting height for floodlight cam?

I know the suggested mounting height for the floodlight cam is 9 feet. I am looking to replace a floodlight mounted about 17 feet up, just above a 2nd floor window. Is this going to be too high to be effective?

I just mounted some yesterday at a similar height and they work great.

Hi,

I hope someone can help.

I’m in a row of houses and thinking about putting my floodlight cam under the eaves of the house - which must be about 7.5m (25ft) from the ground//

Two quick questions…

1. Is that too far?
  2. How best can I focus the floodlight to just my driveway and avoid too much disruption and light bleeding on to my neighbours property (as their bedroom is at the front ) ?

This support page encourages you to put the came up higher, but perhaps I’m a little too much :slight_smile:

Hi @nodecentral. Yes, I believe that 25 ft. is too high for the Floodlight cam to be mounted. The ideal mounting height is 9 ft. The higher you mount it, the less effective the motion detection will become. There is also adjustments that can be made on the Floodlight to manage where the lights are pointing. I hope this helps.

Many thanks @Tom_Ring

What Ring product would you recommend I use at that height, one that would allow me to cover the front of my house ?

Hey @nodecentral. Stepping in here for Tom! Our Floodlight Cam and Spotlight Cam have the highest recommended installation height being 9 ft, so when it comes to Security Cameras and anything higher than 9 ft for the installation, we do not have anything we would recommend at this time. You can definitely purchase this device still from a place like Amazon that offers free 30 day returns, and try the product out first. We also offer 1 month of our Ring Protect Plan so that you can try the device out with the video storage before you have to purchase it to continue the video storage.

Feel free to purchase the device you were thinking about, and if it doesn’t work out and doesn’t cover the things happening in front of your home, you’ll know it’s because of the installation height and to return the device, or reconsider where else you can mount the device at a lower height!

Ring’s own instructions for the Floodlight Cam say “Don’t be afraid to mount your Floodlight Cam high. It will capture clear video of visitors’ faces and cover a wide visual area. You’ll be more likely to capture the events you want to know about and be notified as soon as they happen.”

So Chelsea’s comment here is contradictory.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.