I have a old 1st gen ring doorbell that I’ve had for a long time. It’s battery appears to have died so I’m thinking of replacing it.
On a scale of 1 to 5 (with 5 being, far exceeds expectations and 3 being, meets expectations) I’d rate my current 1st Gen as a “2” for (not quite meeting my expectations) the following reasons:
- Slow response to doorbell. By the time the app responds people have usually left (not necessarily a bad thing I suppose [;)]
- Reliable response to doorbell press. Sometime the old mechanical chime rings but the Ring never responds.
- Slow response to motion. Often whatever triggered the motion is gone by the time the recording starts.
- Poor motion detection (it never misses a car or truck but only catches the mailman half the time).
- Videos are too short and often show only part of an event.
- Poor cold weather performance (mine’s hard wired but if it gets cold I still have to bring it inside and recharge the batteries).
- Overall poor video quality.
So, in a replacement, I’m looking for:
- Good cold weather performance. Down to -5F is fine, we often see single digits but rarely below 0.
- Much better video quality and resolution.
- Better motion detection with zones that really work.
- Faster response time on doorbell press.
Any constructive comments or suggestions are welcome. Thanks!