Live View timeout

I have my ring stick up cam i want to use it as a baby phone for my newborn baby
So we can watch her sleep every second and hear her when she is awake.
Its so stupid that it turns off when ussing it in live modus

Can this be solved it

2 Likes

i have 2 Ring Spotlight Cam and Door Bell , fire tv and few alexa devices , Ring Protect and amazon prime.
for personal reasons i can only use windows app which timeout 30 sec and that is not good enough ,
love the amazon products but if they donā€™t fix this i must switch to something else .

1 Like

Hey, would you mind posting a link to said feature request board?

2 Likes

Of course, @AnthonyKolka! Feel free to browse for this request on our Feature Request Board. There, you will be able to vote and add comments to the related requests in that board. :slight_smile:

Live view does not work more than 30 seconds or so on Windows 10. If you are using that you cannot get 10 minutes. I get a full 10 minutes using Echo Show (havenā€™t tried it on my phone). When I first installed my Ring system I got 10 minutes on Windows 10 but no more. Ring stopped supporting Windows 10 (the very best way to view your videos). My cameras and doorbell still work with Windows 10, but only a very short live view and usually only downloads 10 videos . Many do not download at all. I must go to the web site now to see all my videos and from the web site, live view is not available at all. Live view on a phone is a joke - too small to see details. Ring took a decently operating system away from Windows 10 computer users. Itā€™s a shame if you ask me. It was my preferred method of using Ring.

1 Like

Ring - you need to sort this
What a load of rubbish
After spending a fortune on ring products I discover I cannot monitor them for more than 10 mins with having to say
Alexa - show me front door etc
Itā€™s driving me mad !

I so with I have gone with nest now :frowning:

Sort yourselves out good grief!!!

Mind you saying that you donā€™t reply or listen to your customers anyway so no doubt this will go into a black hole like the rest of the comments

4 Likes

@Chelsea_Ring Can we have an update from the Ring Team as to when this issue will be resolved, or some answer about why the timeout exists?

2 Likes

Hey @RingMaster2. Happy to chime in for Chelsea on this. At this time, there is no new information on the Live View timeout. I know this that is a popular Feature Request. Thank you for your continued support and patience.

@Tom_Ring

Thanks for providing the information that there are no current plans to resolve this issue which has been ongoing for greater than 4 years.

I can no longer support Ring cameras as a product due to this issue. I will recommend to all my readers that all persons who are looking for home security cameras should avoid purchasing Ring cameras at this time.

3 Likes

Would this suggestion get more traction if placed in the Feature Request Forum? That is what the moderators always advise doing. Iā€™m not sure if a different team monitors that sub-forum.

I think Ring has marketed their cameras as motion alert cameras and not live-streaming cameras like a traditional CCTV system. But, I see the points raised by many here that bought indoor cameras to monitor children and the like. It would seem Ring could imlement the change and leave it up to the user as to how long that live view could be left on. I think perhaps one reason it is not offered is that it would probably use up the battery pretty quickly, but that would not matter for the hard wired versions. Are folks here saying competitor battery operated cameras offer user-selectable times for live view? Which brands? Iā€™m curious now. For me, with my outdoor battery spotlight cameras, the design as is works fine but I folks here have made some pretty reasonable arguments as to why it is insufficient in other cases. Why not post this in Feature Request and see what happens?!

1 Like

@trail-explorer

Indeed, this feature request has been on the Feature Request Board for over a year. It was in the Top 5 for more than a year.

https://community.ring.com/t/extend-the-length-of-live-view/4507

As you continue reading, please keep in mind that you will want to read the following information in the voice of Agent Smith from the Matrix as he interviews Mr. Thomas A. Andersonā€¦

The ring stick-up cameras can also run on solar power but this is for all Ring cameraā€™s as far as I understand it.

10 minutes is the Live View limit.

There are many other brands that have no 10 minute limit such as Arlo cameras and others. For many people, 10 minutes of Live View is just fine but many people prefer much longer than that. It sounds like the Ring cameras work great for you. For people that want longer than 10 minutes however, they will have to look at other solutions unfortunately.

Many people claim that Ring advertise the cameras as baby monitor style cameras. I have not seen that advertising but others claim to have seen it. Perhaps those readers could post those links showing the cameras as baby monitor style cameras so we could discuss it further.

Here is another sad thread listed below on the topic in case you need to understand the reasons for wanting more than 10 minutes. There are even people who have used Ring cameras to monitor their infants and they have been negatively impacted by the 10 minute limit, some have even had emergencies whereby the 10 minute limit has placed their infant in danger.

Recently, the 10 minutes was reduced to a paltry 40 seconds in many cases (for the Windows 10 App).

https://community.ring.com/t/live-view-continuous-viewing/1205

2 Likes

Thanks for the detailed clarification. After I posted, I remembered the solar panel option - therefore my argument for running down the battery with long live view times is not as valid. I would agree Ring should make this a user-selectable option. I donā€™t really see any negatives to it now.

1 Like

This is getting Worse rather than better. Issues used to be about the 10 minute time out and now on Windows it is down to 30 seconds. Ringā€¦ You are not doing yourself any favors by not addressing the issue! At this point I would be happy with 10 minutesā€¦ UGH

2 Likes

Does the timeout have something to do with the amount of recording space?

How about offering a switch in live view to turn off recording for the current live view session?

(X) donā€™t record button. And then allow it to stay active until the live view session is closed

1 Like

Why would your product decide when I am finished watching live view? I do not see a configuration item for timeout. When will this be corrected?

2 Likes

I bought 14!!! Ring cameras for my small hotel (was using Arlos which are terrible)ā€¦ and was very happy with the Ring cameras until I became aware of the time out issue. This is a major design flaw as the cameras are useless for my purposes because of this issue. Note, Iā€™d be happy to pay for additional sever space if this is why they do this, but as it is I wasted over $3000 on Ring products and having the cameras installed. I find it unbelievable that the company - ā€œa security companyā€ - does not understand the importance of continuous monitoring??? It boggles the mind.

3 Likes

This is a major design flaw as the cameras are useless for my purposes because of this issue. Note, Iā€™d be happy to pay for additional sever space if this is why they do this, but as it is I wasted over $3000 on Ring products and having the cameras installed. I find it unbelievable that the company - ā€œa security companyā€ - does not understand the importance of continuous monitoring??? It boggles the mind. I bought 14!!! Ring cameras for my small hotel (was using Arlos which are terrible)ā€¦ and was very happy with the Ring cameras until I became aware of the time out issue.

2 Likes

I have the same issue on the Ring Video Pro 2.
I can understand a limit on the recordings, but not on live view.
This is a painā€¦ and there can not be any valid technical reason - unless they have engineered it to be a problem! - does the live view rely on the recording side of things? - does the live feed go via their servers? - I thought it was a local connection for that. It would be really dumb to require the Ring servers to be available just for live feed - Both from the 24x7 nature of a doorbell needing to be working, and why would Ring need to provide a server, even when someone is not paying for it?
The timeout is poor design, and lets the product down.

1 Like

I just purchased a Ring doorbell and 2 cameras. After trying to setup my monitoring station I learned the live view times out after 10 minutes. This is unacceptable and false advertisement. I will be returning these products today and switching to another provider.

1 Like

I hear Wyze Cam V3 has no problem with the time out. Ring hits all products with the ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā– ā–  hammer and I have no idea why. Also blink mini cameras are the same, they time out too.

1 Like