Live View timeout

If anyone from Ring Product team is still reading this thread, please fast track this request. It is expected to have a security camera to be available for continuous operation as needed. I would have expected the developers to leave it up to the user to decide on the timeout and the duration. I bought the Indoor Camera with Amazon Echo Show 8 to use as a baby monitor, such a disappointment to learn that the combination is not fit for the intended purpose. If continuous operation and monitoring is not available with Ring indoor camera, I will be forced to return the product and unfortunately will have to switch to another ecosystem. Please get your act together ASAP.

7 Likes

Mine just now started timing out after 1 min. What can I do?

1 Like

Fix this problem!

3 Likes

Hi neighbors! There was recently an incident reported on Status.Ring.com, in regards to live view being unable to connect. This has since been resolved as of 12/8/2020 at 11:40 UTC, as mentioned on the status page. If you are still experiencing live view concerns, check out our Community post for live view troubleshooting steps.

For further assistance, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

@Marley - this thread is about the 10 minute timeout in Ring cameras when in LiveView mode. In my particular case, the stand-up indoor Ring camera is used for monitoring with Alexa as the screen, the timeout is really annoying as the live view feed disconnects every 10 minutes which forces us to re-open Ring camera using Alexa voice command. We are looking at Ring team to fix this timeout issue, either by providing a user setting (e.g. never time-out, time-out at interval, say 10 minutes). Many thanks!

4 Likes

Live View is pretty useless right now. For the past few days, at least, when it does connect it only does so for about a minute, sometimes less.

Gone is the pathetic 10 minute time out. Now I am lucky to get just 1 minute of live view. Impossible to monitor for anything.

3 Likes

It’s only 1 minute for me, had I known there is a timeout on live view I probably wouldn’t have spent the money on this…

3 Likes

I agree with the people posting their displeasure in the 10 minute timeout failure. This should be emphasized in the description for the camera. Had I known this limitation, I would have bought some other camera. Very poor engineering decission for sure. Ring needs to wake up and satisfy the customers.

3 Likes

I really wish the 10 minute limit didn’t exist. I have a Ring doorbell installed by my mother’s bed. She has Alzheimer’s and it’s been an *almost* perfect solution for us. On good days, she can push the button when she needs help. On days when she’s less coherent, I need a way to watch in constantly. The 10 minute live view limit is a pain, though, and I’m afraid we’ll end up purchasing a different camera.

3 Likes

Maybe this needs a Class Action Lawsuit?!

3 Likes

I don’t want a lot for Christmas
There is just one thing I need
I don’t care about the presents
Underneath the Christmas tree

I just want my live mode to stay live

2 Likes

This is indeed stupid, as many I bought the indoor stick cam to monitor my son at his playroom and having a 10 minute timeout defeats the purpose. Worst is the fact that for the past few days the live view disconnects after 1 minute or less.

From a infrastructure perspective I understand the limitation (we are routing through their cloud servers) but this is stupid. Reduce the resolution, use a better codec to encode the video. But we should be allowed to keep live view LIVE for as long as we want.

2 Likes

Yea, returning mine.

1 Like

Is there an update on a fix for this?

The 10 minute timeout is a safety risk and a major flaw within the product. The entire point of a “live view” is to actively monitor something. if something is in progress, having the feed “time out” is a major risk. If you are monitoring a baby/kids those 30-60 seconds could be crucial. if you dont notice the disconect, those moments could be crucial.

What is worse is how its implemented. There is no “are you still watching” popup that allows you to click no to disocnnect. it just disconnects on its own. its such a short period. i can understand timing out after like 4 hours. but 10 minuteS?

This should be rings #1 priority as a company. it makes the product unusable in half of its potential applications

3 Likes

This is mad! I guess I will stick with my Samsung SmartCam instead which I have had for years and does live view brilliantly I only wanted to swap so I can have my cameras in the same app.

2 Likes

@Marley_Ring please provide an update, the lack of response is not acceptable

2 Likes

I am sick to my back teeth of constantly having to say something like “Alexa, show me the front door” every minute or so, same with my flood light cam if I want to monitor it. I don’t have such a huge problem with a “hard timeout” feature - but this ought to be something like an hour or ** heaven forbid ** something the user (that’s customer in some terms) gets to decide. This one-two minute nonsense has strained my patience with the Ring brand to breaking point. I’ve already shopped alternatives but it seems absolutely ridiculous that I’ve have to purchase and install all new devices just because an employee at Ring has decided on my behalf what the longest I’m allowed to view one of my cameras for before re-requesting is.

As one of the above commentators said - GET YOUR ACT TOGETHER.

1 Like

I just wanted to inform everyone ‘No Help Is Coming to Resolve this Problem’. On February 25 , 2021Amazon will be announcing the Echo 10 for $249. There is no way they are going to make improvement to the Echo 5. Echo 5 was just a prototype that you paid $20 to help them test.

1 Like

This is a real pain for me and a deal breaker - I just bought a Ring Doorbell, Elite and battery powered Stick-up without realising this terrible, terrible limitation. Like others we did this to have a monitoring system for our kids while building work is going on in our home. Unfortunately it looks like its all going back, including the Show 8 we purchased to view them all in. What a palaver. This to my mind is very clearly not fit for purpose. It’s like buying a car that will only drive you 10 miles at a time then needs to stop and be re-started, you wouldn’t put up with that so why this?

2 Likes

I would love to keep my Ring cameras - invested too much already. I really thought a 3rd party app would solve this issue. I do not think Ring has any intention of solving it - I have $50 cameras that stay on for months at a time so I cannot see how the issue is technical. I wonder how many people bought Ring cameras and Alexa Shows because of the obvious monitoring use - only to find out it was bait and switch. Maybe Alexa had a hand in it - getting us to ask it to view cams a few million collective times.

2 Likes