Live View for Ring Video Doorbells and Home Security Cameras

Live View lets you stream real-time video from your Ring Doorbells and home Security Cameras on the Ring app or on Ring.com without a Ring Protect subscription. Both Account Owners and Shared Users can access Live View.

If you have a Ring Protect subscription, you can get video recordings of Live View actions and events within 1-2 minutes.

While you navigate this article, click on sentences with arrows to uncover more!

Actions in Live View

Depending on which Ring home device you’re using, there are certain actions you can take while using Live View.

• Enable Sound - Listen-in on what’s going on in your property.

• Select the speaker button to enable. Icon_Audio_Dark
  • Two-Way Talk - Speak to whoever’s there.

• Select the microphone button to start talking. mic_on (e993)
  • Activate Siren - Sound a home security camera siren.

• Select the exclamation button and confirm on the pop-up dialog. Icon_Siren_Dark
  • Turn on Lights - Turn on your lights.

• Select the light button to turn on or off. Icon_Light_Dark
How to Use Live View in the Ring app
  • Open the Ring app.

• Tap a Snapshot image from your Doorbell or home Security Camera. Live View will open.

• Depending on which device you’re using, there are certain things you can do:

• Enable sound by tapping the speaker button (available for doorbells and security cameras).
    • Use Two-Way Talk by tapping the microphone icon (available for doorbells and security cameras).
    • Turn on lights by tapping the light button (available for security cameras with lights).
    • Activate siren by tapping the exclamation button (available for security cameras).
  • To end Live view, tap the End Live button.

How to access Live View on the Ring website
  • Log into your Ring account on Ring.com using the same email and password that you use for the Ring app.

• Select one of the Snapshot images under the Cameras section for a Camera or Doorbell; Live View will open.

• Depending on which device you’re using, there are certain things you can do:

• Enable sound by selecting the speaker button (available for doorbells and security cameras).
    • Use Two-Way Talk by selecting the microphone icon (available for doorbells and security cameras). Your browser may ask you to give ring.com permission to access your microphone. If this happens, select Allow.
    • Turn on lights by selecting the light button (available for security cameras with lights).
    • Activate siren by selecting the exclamation button (available for security cameras).
  • To end Live view, select the End Live button.

Live View is only supported in certain browsers. See the table in our Help Center Article here for the latest compatibility information.

Live View will automatically turn off after 10 minutes. If your Live View does not work, you can find a list of troubleshooting tips and tricks in our Community Post here.

1 Like
1 Like

Live view needs to be 24/7 with all cameras visible on one screen.
Charge more or require a local recorder but this is a must.
It’s been requested for years now, just get it done!

3 Likes

Crazy that this isn’t available. I could maybe see not allowing it for the stick up cams, for battery concerns, but makes no sense for wired. I’ve used 4 other online camera systems, and none had this limitation.

2 Likes

Absolutely, we need this feature ASAP!

2 Likes

Hey neighbors. At this time, Ring Video Doorbells and Security Cameras do not support continuous or 24/7 recording. Other neighbors have asked for this on our Feature Request Board, which you can find here. I recommend adding your votes and feedback to that request, as we use the Feature Request Board to gather and share ideas with our teams here.

I thought the Protect Plan gave us 24/7 video coverage ? What am I missing in this thread ?

Hi @MichaelHelton. The Ring Protect Plan activates video recording so you can view and download videos from the Event History page. Ring Doorbells and Security Cameras are not designed to record 24/7 as they are not a CCTV system. For more information on the Ring Protect Plan, please review this Help Center article.

1 Like

@Caitlyn_Ring You know, I’m trying to find out why I don’t see 24/7 recording on my Ring Doorbell and I see your response to @MichaelHelton but you need to rephrase your response to him. I have three Security/floodlight Cameras on the outside of my home, two are hardwired and one is a plug in and all three of those cameras record video 24/7. The only camera that doesn’t, and the one camera I really want to do that, is the doorbell camera. And while I appreciate your commenting that we can ‘like’ requests on the feature board, people have been asking for this feature, that was promised, back in 2018. We’ve been longtime Ring users and have been paying for a long time and are getting a little tired of waiting for features that were promised 5 years ago now…just sayin’…

1 Like

Hi @nightsmusic. When I say that Ring Cameras do not record 24/7, I mean that they are not continuously recording all day, every day, the way a CCTV system would. They will begin recording when motion is detected, when someone rings the Doorbell, or when Live View is activated. At this time, this is true for all Ring Doorbells and Cameras.

1 Like

Actually, I’m glad it is not 24-7 as Cox internet charges an incredible extra amount if you exceed their basic cap limit allowed for monthly bandwidth use. I don’t know how much extra 24-7 would use but the next Cox step up on my plan would be at least $50/mo. As it is we only are just under it each month (1250GB), and unlike most phone plans, Cox will not roll over a “credit” for all underused amount to the next month. Great for them huh?

Hi am new to this. How do I stop a family member who’s moved away now
From
Still getting access. He’s not a shared user

Hi @user57260. If a family member is not a Shared User, I’m unsure how they can have access. You can logout devices in the Control Center under Authorized Client Devices. I would also suggest changing your password.

I so agree. Why is this not a feature?

Why do I need to verify I am a human two times and then recived a text message and enter a code EVERY TIME I want to look at my cameras.

How do I turn all this “security” off, i really don’t care if folks can see our cameras. We are not very interesting at all. Nobody would watch for very long anyway.

EDIT; The “keep me logged in” check box does nothing to prevent this.