Live Audio using "in-call" speaker and not speakerphone

I’m having an issue with the Ring app using the “in-call” speaker instead of the Speakerphone when I connect to Live view or answer a doorbell ring. Meaning, I need to hold the phone up to my head to hear the person speaking and my voice is transmitted to the outdoor via the in-call mic.

I’m using a Samsung Galaxy S10+. The sound quality of my voice to the doorbell is pretty bad and I can’t really hear the person either. When compared with my wife’s iPhone that properly uses the speakerphone, it’s night and day.

I understand that this is a known issue but this can’t be that Samsung phones are simply “the problem”.

I’ve tried:

• uninstalling / reinstalling the Ring app
  • turning off Event History Timeline (as some suggested).
  • Reviewed the list of apps that “conflict with ring” (I had none).
  • Removed “Tyua Smart” app on my phone
    • Video Camera software that has had similar problems.
  • Tried using Bluetooth (still used in-call mic)
  • Tried using Wired Headset
    • It works as expected.
    • I hear thru earphone and mic works
    • Need volume to be at 100% to hear the person talking
    • And yeah, not gonna do this
  • Changing other various settings.

So far, my phone will only use “in-call” mic when connecting in Live View without a wired headset. When I view prior recordings, everything works through speakerphone as expected.

Is every newer Samsung phone (9 and above) experiencing this? Or am I one of a select few?

1 Like

Edit:

After messing around with Bluetooth a bit, I found that if I have my bluetooth headset “connected” to my phone and active PRIOR to opening up Live View, then bluetooth will work as expected, i.e., mic and speaker in bluetooth vs. in-app calling.

However if I connect my bluetooth AFTER enabling Live View, the “in-app” calling mic will not switch to the bluetooth one.

Inconvenient for sure but better.

1 Like

Hello djlott,

Did you managed to solve this issue? I struggling with the same here

No this remains an open issue. I am hoping an app update will fix this at some point.

Edit: Apparently this is an issue with Bluetooth. Others with this issue are relating this with having a Smart Watch. I can’t make the connection but apparently turning off Bluetooth on the phone before connecting to Live, fixes the issue…temporarily at least.

This is stupidly annoying. When someone rings, it goes to my bluetooth headset even though I have “audio” off and “calls only” for my bluetooth device.

1 Like

Any update to this? I always had Samsung phones (no smartwatch) and never had the issue until a few months back. It’s by far the worst issue I have in any app on my phone