Jumper Cable for Wired Video Doorbell install, .... is jumper cable needed?

Help!

I have an existing wired doorbell system from my 1970’s house. I have connected my “wired” Ring Video Door Bell per the Installation Guideline. (image attached)

NOTE: I decided to buy a Chime Pro and use that versus the house’s original doorbell box. Per the Install Guidelines, I installed the Ring Jumper Cable.

QUESTION: In order to keep power running to the video doorbell, AND to remove the original 1970 doorbell box, do I use Option A (wire clamp the Jumper Cable to each end of the existing wires,… or Option B (remove the Jumper Cable entirely and wire clamp the two existing wires together?)

Hope that make sense, and my funny image is helpful.

Thanks for any response!

2 Likes

Hello @TheFireman408 ,

Nice pictures drawings . . . I like them! :smile:

Both Option A and Option B are basically the same thing, and both will work. Yes, your understanding that the installation of the new Wired Doorbell needs the full power of the transformer (so the jumper bypasses the house wall-mounted chime, so it doesn’t have to share any power with it).

I hope this helps. :wink:

Thanks @Boone ! Yes, that is what I was thinking is that Option A and Option B are essentially the same thing. I want to eliminate the legacy wired doorbell systems mounted on the hallway wall and shove the cable back inside the wall and seal up the hole. I installed the ChimePro yesterday and have the nice “Ding Dong” noise working properly. So this is about getting rid of the legacy 1970 pre-existing box and then pivoting exclusively to the ChimePro.

Thanks again, this does help/confirm what I was thinking. :raised_hands:

1 Like

Good to see you neighbors working together on this! Agreed, that drawing is awesome @TheFireman408.

For more tips on installing the Video Doorbell Wired, I recommend following the Installation Guide here for the best installation steps, as well as watching our video here that explains the setup for a single Doorbell Wired. It is possible to wire the Video Doorbell Wired directly to a transformer that meets the 10-24 VAC requirement, but we recommend that you have a professional electrician handle it if you are not comfortable with such processes. :slight_smile:

Thanks @Marley_Ring Yea, I followed all of those directions successfully… however, I have decided to now totally bypass the legacy existing 1970 doorbell chime and pivot to the Chime Pro exclusively. I was not able to find any specific documentation on how to do that on the actual Ring site, so I created that diagram and asked the community. All good.

1 Like

@Boone @Marley_Ring ,… so interestingly enough, I did not have this alert before,…but now that I bypassed the legacy 1970 original doorbell noise device,… I now have an alert that I am drawing too much power. (Did not see this alert prior,…I was only pulling 24V…I checked with a gauge …24V)

Would the legacy original doorbell box have stepped down or reduced the voltage?

Seems odd to now all of a sudden be pulling 39V.

Thanks for the update on this, @TheFireman408! As mentioned above, the Video Doorbell Wired is intended to use an existing chime kit and jumper cable, for proper functionality. If your Ring app is indicating too much power is received, I recommend disconnecting it and reaching out to an electrician to check the flow of voltage and installation variables.

Hi neighbors! I wanted to provide another update to this thread with some information regarding your voltage readings. Our teams are currently looking into reports of Video Doorbell Wired devices incorrectly reporting a transformer’s voltage. While our team is investigating and working to resolve it as soon as possible, in the meantime, feel free to reach out to our support team for further information or troubleshooting to ensure your device is working as it should. Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

1 Like

Hello
I had a renovation done to my house and they took out the chime and covers the wall with kitchen cabinets. Will my ring work without the jumper? I also bought a ring chime plug in.

Hi @Louis213. I recommend following the instructions listed below to wire up your device.

Check the output using your aforementioned meter for your transformer. If its a 24V transformer then its unlikely (not impossible if an internal fault I guess) that it actually is outputting 39V. If its more then swap out the transformer. if its 24V then ignore the app and trust your meter.

hello everyone, I have a questions I recently installed a ring doorbell I was so excited about it that I totally forgot about connecting the jumper cable but my ring doorbell and ring chime seem to be working great I checked the device health and it says “good” transformer voltage 14V do I really need to connect the jumper cable? I just don’t want to have to turn off everything again and disconnect the ring doorbell again lol thanks

Hi @Edwin29. Yes, the Jumper Cable is absolutely necessary when using the Doorbell wired. Failure to use the Jumper Cable could be hazardous and not safe. I recommend disconnecting power to the Doorbell circuit until you are able to install the Jumper Cable.

Apparently my existing wired doorbell (Legrand 41243) which is 15yrs old has a transformer and chime (see photo provided) that are compatible with my new Ring Wired doorbell. I’m confident with almost all the instructions but one bit, the bit that talks about the jumper cable. Why would I want to jump the chime if it’s compatible, I want to use the existing chime and just replace the button? Where on the photo (supplied) am I connecting the jumper cable ??? Is it the two connections that I have circled in green … as believe these are the chime - as those I have circled in red are the main wires into the unit that go into the transformer first from the mains is that right ?

Hi @andya21. The Doorbell Wired is not compatible with any chime kit. It is designed to bypass the chime kit and be wired directly to a compatible Doorbell transformer.

Hence the jumper cable makes sense … what I was meaning is whether it’s comparable with the transformer seems to be from what I’ve read but just wanted a second opinion and to clarify where I put the jumper cable in the photo above.

Looking at the photo I would not jump those wires. The input (red circle) wires appear to be heavier gauge than the (green circle) low voltage and from what the transformer says it’s a 230v input to 14v output. Jumping the red and green will be dangerous.

@andya21 did you resolve your query? I too have the same legrand door ell and have been scouring the net to find this answer but have come up trumps… not got the wired ring doorbell yet but want to know if it has worked for you as I will be purchasing mine shortly. Thanks

I am totally confused with all these post regarding hard wiring the Ring to an existing doorbell

Connecting the jumper appears to disable the chime. Why would one want to disable the chime. How do you connect to a Nutone type chime system with the ring device ? I connected the ring to the two wires going to the old pushbutton and the unit gets powered and the chime rings when the ring pushed. Unfortunately it only works for couple of days. Then I disconnect it, reconnect it and it works again. What’s up with that ? I saw somewhere in the posts that the ring is not designed to operate the chime. That makes to sense. How is someone in the house going to know when someone is at the door. Can someone explain how to connect to an existing nutone chime system with out disabling it ?

1 Like

Hi @gbowman10. The Doorbell Wired is designed to NOT work with an internal chime kit. That is why the jumper is required, as it bypasses the chime kit. If you wish to use your internal chime kit, any of the other Doorbell option will work.

1 Like