Ring Video Doorbell

Browse posts, comment, and join in the discussion about Rings wired and battery doorbell.
M
Issue with delay in recording - only get recordings of people walking away
hardwired-video-doorbell
battery-video-doorbell
troubleshooting
Seems that I can't ever get the recording of a person walking up to the door - only away, which is sort of useless footage. This is a battery powered ring video doorbell 2. I live on a busy street so I have people only mode on, motion sensitivity is right at about half way on the scroller, and I've got advanced motion detection on (so it doesn't include the street). It's a straight shot from my front door to the street, with a walkway connecting my house to the curb - I'm a tall guy and it's a full 15-16 steps to get from street to door on the walkway.

09-06-2021 03:49:01

Responses (8)

H
Im having the same problem, I have an android phone, when I'm out my back garden I get the notification but by the time I walk around the front of the house, about 45 seconds, the person is driving away. I understand that there are a great number of people with the same problem, when are Ring going to sort this out? It makes a mockery of the advert which shows instantaneous response, it also takes a while to log into the app. Surely this can't be the norm? Can't fault the picture quality, would be nice if Ring could do something to rectify this.

09-06-2021 04:30:02

M
Hi, the issue you are experiencing is based on the Battery models use of PIR detection, your cams outlook and the time it takes to connect to the Ring Cloud before a Video starts to be saved. So the stored videos start post motion trigger. They will not show the motion or the few seconds after, as this period is lost as the cam connects to the Ring cloud. The exception is the v3+ or v4 which have a pre-roll feature that can include a few seconds of footage that starts to be saved after the motion trigger. Videos from theses cams therefore show a bit more video after the motion trigger. So why am I seeing people walking away from my door ? Well, in a short path to your door it only takes a few seconds to get there, post a letter and turn and leave. The cam picks up the motion, starts the connection to the Ring Cloud, starts to stream... by this time the person is walking away. The issue is compounded by some camera outlooks, where the approach is straight on, up steps or down a alleyway. This is because the PIR motion detection works best when the motion is across the image rather than straight on. This is down to the way the PIR detection works. In some cases a motion is not triggered until someone reaches the actual door, then add the connection delay... The Wired only cams use a different motion detection system and also record to a small buffer 24/7 which results in videos that include a few seconds pre-motion, and the actual motion. The Battery models do not offer this functionality, but the v3+ and v4 pre-roll attempts to mimic it. What can you do? You need to go your cam to trigger a motion as early as possible so that as much of the subsequent motion can be captured once the video starts streaming to the Cloud. There are various guides in the Ring help pages that offer guidance on setting up your Battery cams. But the settings are a balance between max and min motion events resulting in a video, where max will drain the battery faster. Have a go at setting your: - Sensitivity to Max, - Frequency to Frequent, and - People only mode off. - You may also want to try switching off the “Advanced Motion Detection” feature, which is. Cloud based motion check. This can delay the start of a video. You should then see the PIR zones offered to you to adjust. Set them all on. Once you have Max motions being triggered you can look at adjusting the settings to reduce them and save battery power.

09-06-2021 06:54:19

V
I’m having this same problem and for the record my Ring is not set up with the cloud. So it’s truly based on the “Live view” I’ve also had this Ring doorbell for a couple of years and it’s never worked right. The longer I’ve had it and the more changes Ring Corp makes the worse it works. This is the reason I refused to pay Ring to get the video and only use it for live viewing. I’ve reported my issues multiple times to Ring and they honestly don’t have a clue. Everything they ask me to do doesn’t work. Then after trying all their ideas and working for more then a few hours on the matter-each time I’ve reported it, I give up. I truly have to wonder if Ring didn’t expand too fast. Fix your current product issues before creating new products. Lastly, I’ve also found that many of the support team are not respectful and have actual told me I must be lying about my reported issues. The things I’ve had to do to prove the issues are happening has been awful. Another reason I give up after trying over and over. But again, nothing ever gets fixed. I would honestly suggest that if this doorbell can’t work the way they claim and NEVER gets the people walking up my sidewalk to my door then no one should have to pay extra for the video too. But what do I know. It’s really sad to have a doorbell that never catches the FedEx, Amazon or any other deliveries. So that also means it wouldn’t catch anyone stealing items off my porch either.

24-09-2021 10:47:00

V
Same with mine. It’s like you are describing my exact issues 😀

24-09-2021 10:47:36

V
Same with my Ring doorbell. It’s like you are describing my house and set up. Y’all family etc 😀

24-09-2021 10:49:04

Didn't find an answer ?

Log in or create your Ring account to post a question and join in the on the conversation.

Most Helpful Members

W

windracer

User
Solution

J

Jventerprises

User
Solution

R

Rick_Madik

User