Is Ring Bridge Needed with Ring Alarm System?

Hello,

I just finished installing my Ring Alarm System (2nd Gen). I also have two Floodlights and a Ring Doorbell Pro.

I am curious if I need the Ring Bridge? As it stands (without the bridge) it appears that if the alarm is triggered I can set the FloodLights and Doorbell to automatically begun recording/turn lights on in the event the alarm is triggered.

What other benefit does the bridge give me?

Also, whats with the Alarm Range Extenders, they dont exactly provide the best range extension. I have one connected to the basestation thats in the basement (no low signal warning). I have two doors in the livingroom. The door further away from the extender has no issues. The patio door thats closer is throwing up a “weak signal” notification.

Any help would be great!

Hi @Sassums. The Ring Bridge is used to control your Ring Smart Lights. Once the Smart Lights are connected to the Ring Bridge, they can be Grouped to have more control over how they operate.

If you’re have signal issues with your Range extender connecting to your Alarm Base Station, it may be due to interference. Be sure your Base Station is centrally located in your home, and not in close proximity to any other smart devices. If that doesn’t improve the signal, try moving your Range Extender closer to the Base Station. If you’ve tried these suggestions to no avail, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

So if I don’t have any smart lights (I’m assuming the FloodLight/Camera combo is not included as a smart light) I have no need for the bridge, correct?

The range extender has good signal (or I think? As it has no low signal warning)

My base station is in the basement hard wired to the router. Should I move it?

Hi @Sassums. Correct, you do not need the Ring Bridge if you do not have Ring Smart Lights. I would only move the Base Station if you’re having issues with a weak signal. If all of your sensors are functioning normally, you would be fine leaving the Base Station where you have it. I hope this helps!

Well I have the base station in the basement. And a range extender one floor up. I have two doors with sensors.

The door closer to the range extender is showing a weak signal while the one further away is not. Which is why I’m confused.

Hi @Sassums. If the door closer to the Range Extender is having a weak signal, you may need to move that Range Extender closer to the Base Station. If that doesn’t improve your signal, you may need to move the Base Station closer to that door. The door Contact Sensor will only connect to the Range Extender if doing so will result in a better signal. I hope this helps!

Following on the lighting topic, would one need a base station and a bridge if they had a security system and step and/or path lights? A different way to ask the question is does the base station act as a bridge for the smart lighting?

Hi @Talinandbrian. For the Ring Smart Pathlights you will need the Ring Bridge. This will allow you to control your lights with Light Groups and Light Schedules. The Base Station does not serve as a Ring Bridge. I hope this information helps!

1 Like