iOS Notifications - do badges work?

HI all, I have notifications working fine on my iPhone - when motion is detected, I get a notification on my screen. I was wondering though, I have never seen any badge numbers on the app - if I have not actually tapped the notification or opened the app to check out the motion notificaiton alert, I would expect to see a red ‘1’ badge over the app. Are badges used like this, or is there jo badge support inthe app?

thanks!

4 Likes

Hey @aka, we currently do not have notification or alert badges to show how many notifications are unread over the app icon. This would make for an excellent feature request though, and I will of course share this with the team.

10 Likes

Any update on this feature?

10 Likes

I just installed my new Ring doorbell this week (I have iPhone 6s updated to latest software version 13.3). Alerts and banners work fine when there is activity at the doorbell. However, I cannot get badges to appear on the Ring icon, even though I set up everything correctly in iPhone Notifications to allow all alerts on the Ring app, including sounds and badges. This morning I spent 10 minutes on the phone with Ring support to seek a possible solution, but they could not help, despite trying several fixes. According to the message below from Marley_Ring dated 7-17-2019, this feature is not available? If so, then the Ring tech support person I spoke with today was not aware of it. Can someone confirm whether badge notifications will work on iPhone? If not, will this feature be available any time soon? Thanks!

2 Likes

Any updates to this feature?

2 Likes

Any update to adding this feature? It’s been 7 months. This would be very helpful. I don’t sit and stare at my phone all day and sometimes so many notifications on screen that I don’t review and just swipe home screen to get to apps.

5 Likes

I agreed with this person; the Red Dot badge notification is useful and very important, please have this feature soon. My friend stopped using Ring since he said there’s no red badge notification. He found annoying to go in the app in order to see notifications. It’s too late by the time he checks it.

5 Likes

Yes I second this, why have upgrades and not address or fix the notification which is most useful for some customers.

3 Likes

It’s been a over a year since the initial post, any updates?

3 Likes

Hey @Ss5, happy to chime in here. At this time, we don’t have any news to share on an unread notification badge on iOS. However, this suggestion has been shared with the appropriate team as a feature request and we appreciate your feedback. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

How is this not implemented yet? Such an easy thing to add to with just a few lines of code in the notification, and yet your developers are still “considering it”? Just add it.

3 Likes

Totally agreed @ bwarman… just get it done.

1 Like

When will Ring, will all their brains and technology, develop a red badge notification so we kmow something’s going on at our home?? Badges work for email, phone calls, and text messages, why not Ring??

2 Likes

It’s really sad and an embarrassment for the Ring company to sell millions of their video doorbells but overlooked one of the most valuable app features, that being the icon badge. We bought this camera for security reasons, yet the software can’t set the badge flag count? I contacted support about a year ago with this issue and they forwarded my recommendation to the development team. I also asked them to feedback to me if/when they might add the feature. I never heard anything. Until this is resolved I am no longer purchasing anymore Ring equipment nor suggesting their products to friends and family. I wonder what we are getting for our $30 a year subscription?

1 Like

Please add badge notifications to the iOS app. It is incredibly frustrating to see badge notifications for nearly all my apps–except Ring. This is not a small issue. Ring sells itself as a company that cares about their customers’ and their family members’ safety. How can I feel secure when I may one day accidentally assume that I do not have to worry about my home and my family’s safety because I do not see badge notifications? What if there is an intruder at my doorstep and I fail to take notice because there is no badge notification?

This is a small fix that could have huge ramifications.

Any updates? Just got my first ring last week and could not figure out why I wasn’t getting badge notifications. Never crossed my mind that it’s not a thing. Honestly, I will research the competitors for my next purchase (we will be selling in the next 6 months and the ring will stay with this house) and see if any of them have badges enabled because it’s that important/useful to me.

Any updates on this? I just purchased the doorbell and alarm system and this is definitely a super letdown. I mean my blink cameras have this capability…

Please add this feature.

It’s middle of 2021! the notification badge is not a “big” feature to add. As an iOS/Android developer, this is VERY MUCH SIMPLE to get it done! Why so hard? We are missing notifications for motions!

Thank you for the continued feedback on this, neighbors! We’ve mentioned creating a feature request for this, but I wanted to also provide the link to that board, in this thread.

As we always value our neighbors’ feedback, feel free to add this request on our Feature Request Board. This way other neighbors can share their interest in one place, that we can organize and share with our teams here. :slight_smile:

1 Like

https://community.ring.com/t/badge-notifications-for-ios-app/83655

1 Like