IOS automatic In-app live view on motion not working

We have a wall mounted iPad which is used to show motion/ring events at the front door. The app is open and displayed 24/7 with push notifications switched off and both ring and motion detection ‘on’ for our ring pro door bell.

I tend to avoid doing updates of the App (due to the problem I now have) but following an issue a few days ago I updated the app (turned out the problems were on the ring server side of things and not my side).

Following the update to V5.33.0 the new version will no longer automatically show a live video when motion is detected.

Is there a fix on the way for this as there is no way to revert back to an older app version on iOS?

N.B. The Ring android app on my phone and tablet still works and automatically shows a video. Only seems to be an issue on iOS.

Hey @CableGuy10! Thank you for sharing your experience with us. We are currently experiencing some outages with the Ring app and Ring.com. Please note that the issues within the app and the website would have been affecting this feature, but as of Nov 27, 11:44 UTC, a fix has been implemented and we are monitoring the results. If you are still experiencing any further issues with your Ring devices and how they were behaving previously, I recommend giving our support team a call so they can look into this further. You can give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

Hi thanks for the reply. Re-installed the app again and all seems ok :slight_smile:

Update… Still not working properly. Will Automatically show a motion or ring event video once and then fails to show any after that unless you click on the cross and close the video down :confused:

I am new to ring but not new to home automation. I am having similar issue. The live view works when I request it via the app however it does not work when someone is at the door automatically. I did work once or twice. I wonder if any one can help.

Hi @CableGuy10. Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you have to click on the cross and close the video down? Feel free to attach a screen recording if you’re able to grab one, as that may demonstrate what you’re seeing on your end better. When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as YouTube, and then share the link to the video in your reply.

@Caitlyn_Ring wrote:

Hi @CableGuy10. Can you clarify what you mean when you say that you have to click on the cross and close the video down? Feel free to attach a screen recording if you’re able to grab one, as that may demonstrate what you’re seeing…

Hi Caitlyn, Thanks for the reply. Ive attached a screen grab showing how the video ends once automatically displayed during a motion or ring event. The cross is highlighted. If the display is left on this screen following the initial live video ending it will fail to show any more live videos automatically untiI this screen is closed down.

Hope that helps clarify the issue ?

@CableGuy10 Thanks for sharing that screenshot. The Live View will time out after roughly 10 minutes, which is where you see the screen that is shown in the screenshot. After it times out, you’ll want to close the Live View via the ‘x’ in the top right corner to fully close it out, or tap the Reconnect button to access the Live View again. Since our Doorbells and Cameras are not designed to be used to monitor something 24/7, continuous Live View is not available. In short, the feature is working as intended, and you’ll want to exit out of the Live View after you’ve finished viewing an event, as it cannot pull up the Live View again if the initial one has not been exited.

Hi Caitlyn, Thanks for the reply :smiley:

The issue isn’t with 24/7 live video. The app, if open and on display, has always been able to show live video automatically following a motion or ring event (and yes this only lasts for 10 minutes and then waits for the next motion or ring event and shows the live video again). That is all the wall mounted iPad is used for. Unfortunately this is broken in the current version and only works once when the app is first started or if you close the live screen following every event.

As noted previously this works ok on the latest android version but is broken on iOS.

We have used it for monitoring activity at the front door in this way for many years now.

Hope that helps clarify the issue. :smiley:

@CableGuy10 Thank you for the additional information. I’ve passed all of this along to the appropriate team for them to review, and they should be looking to correct this in a future update of the RIng App. :slight_smile:

Hi @CableGuy10. I touched base with my team on this and I wanted to provide a quick update. It looks like there will be some upcoming changes that will remove this feature in the Ring App, so if you’d like a Live View to automatically be pulled up with motion, you may want to look into an Echo Show to accomplish this. You can find information on what features are available with the Alexa and Ring integration in our Help Center here.

With that said, feel free to leave your feedback or suggestions regarding keeping this as a permanent feature on our Feature Request board. Feel free to add this and any future feature requests there. This will help us to organize and share your requests with our teams here, as well as allow other neighbors to comment and add interest, all in one place. Feel free to link that post you make in the Feature Request board here so other neighbors that come to this thread can easily find your feature! :slight_smile:

I absolutely think the decision to remove live view was a poor one as this completely breaks the security strategy for lots of ring users who trusted ring. Ridiculous is a word that comes to mind

1 Like