Integrate Smart Plugs with Ring Alarm

I have recently installed Ring Alarm.

I have two specific existing light features that I want on when we leave and turn off when we return.

Currently I use Alexa Routine to turn Alexa enabled smart plugs controlling those on and off by voice when leaving or returning

I would prefer that I could turn them on by Arming Away and turn off when Disarming the Ring Alarm System

I am willing to get Ring enabled smart plugs (like the leviton decora smart plug-in outlet) if the Ring Alarm system could turn on and off on Away and Disarm actions.

I called Ring Community Services, and they said that the system could currently not do that at this time.

**If that is correct - I request a feature enhancement to allow control on the various Arming/disarming modes to take action to turn things on and off - at least Ring enabled or works with Ring devices. **

Ideally as more integration with Alexa occurs - it would be nice to turn Alexa devices on and off or run Alexa Routines - however, that requires alot more Alexa device knowledge shared and managed with Ring.

2 Likes

Hey @RGR! Smart plugs that are compatible with Alarm, or Works With Ring, will have an option in the Ring app to turn on/off. At this time they are not able to be automated with a mode specifically, but, as you know, can be integrated with Alexa.

Thank you for sharing your use case and feedback, I’ll definitely share this with the team. Feel free to share more feature requests anytime, in the Alarm feature request thread. :slight_smile:

Did you ever get a response back on your request? This is exactly the issue I’m having and I chatted with RING and got the same response. 2/3/2020. I mentioned that this is such a SIMPLE software adjustment. Why can I not control an outlet for a light when arming and disarming…I would pay for their outlet at twice the cost if I could get this control…ugh

1 Like

Tried to add Leviton plug-in outlet (DZPA1) purchased from Ring to a Ring Alarm Pro base station. The help screens that tech support used to assist were lacking. Tech support ran me down a few rabbit holes before “Set Up a Device”->“Security”->“Works with Ring”. Tech support had to put me on hold a number of times to “research” the problem. The base station was never able to see the device. Was told by tech support that this Leviton device had previously reported problems in connecting to the base station, yet in checking Ring community posts, the device should work.

Hi @BigRed52. This Leviton Smart Outlet will work with Ring Alarm. How far was this outlet from the Base Station while attempting to connect it? What type of device were you using and what version of the Ring app was installed? Did you have bluetooth enabled? Thanks for this information, neighbor.

My initial setup was with eero Pro 6 base station with additional devices to cover the house. Installed a number of Ring devices (doorbell, camera with light (outside), cameras (outdoor and indoor). Added Ring Alarm Pro and Leviton Smart Outlet after eero setup. It is my understanding that Ring Alarm Pro can be used as a mesh device to the eero network. The Ring Alarm Pro was within 20 feet of the smart outlet. The Ring app version 5.60.0 and is installed on my iPhone 12 with iOS 16.4.1(a). Bluetooth is on. In a few initial attempts to connect the smart outlet (even resetting the smart outlet to factory defaults) to the Alarm Pro, I called tech support which was discussed previously. Will move the Alarm Pro base station to the same room as the smart outlet and start with a factory reset and attempt to connect the smart outlet to the Alarm Pro.

Moved the Alarm Pro base station to within 10 feet of the Leviton Smart Outlet. Did a factory reset on smart outlet. Check eero app and the Ring Alarm Pro is in the list of connected devices. Using the Ring app, set Disarmed active then “Set Up a Device”->“Security”->“Works with Ring” then selected “don’t have a QR code” then “Add” then pushed button on smart plug for seven seconds. Ring app indicated “Listening for device…” but no device found “Something went wrong. We had problems communicating with your device. Please try again.”

Hi @BigRed52. In this case, I’d suggest following up with our support team again since you’re still unable to get the Leviton Smart Outlet set up in the Ring app. They can help with further troubleshooting steps.

As I had indicated in my first post, Ring tech support was unable to solve the connection of the Leviton plug-in outlet to the Ring Alarm Pro. However, I will call tech support again to see if the problem can be corrected.

During a second attempt with tech support, I was able to get the Leviton Smart Outlet device connected to the Ring Alarm Pro. After learning that Ring app did not provide the features that I wanted to control the smart outlet, I am returning the smart outlet device and Ring Alarm Pro. Does not look like Ring invests much software design effort in devices they do not manufacture.

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.