Indoor ring camera makes static noise

Out of the blue three or four times a day my indoor ring camera makes a horrible loud hissing/static noise for no reason. I can’t use it cause it is so loud it scares the pets and me in the middle of the night. Why does it do that and how do I fix it?

1 Like

Hey @Sombra. Could you show us a video of what this looks like, so we know what kind of sound you’re hearing? When attaching this video, you will need to compress the MP4 file into a ZIP file, as ZIP files can be attached to your reply and not MP4s. In addition, you can upload this video elsewhere, such as Youtube, and then share the link to the video in your reply. Alternatively, if the video is saved in the Event History in your Ring App, you can choose to share it via email and copy the link that is generated.

In addition, I recommend also reaching out to our support team on this for immediate assistance so they can troubleshoot with you to see what is causing this so you do not have to deal with that sound scaring your pets. I know my cats would not be happy with that either! :joy_cat:

Please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19. This has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I am unable to upload a video of the noise. It is a loud static - no other way to describe it - just a loud static noise like the white noise static that happens on tv when it doesn’t get a signal. I have no means to upload a video at this time. the camera doesn’t record anything when the sound is occuring - it is black.

I decided to call the help support number you gave me and I was able to talk to someone there and she mentioned it sounded like the device might be defective. I’m going to take it to where i purchased it and exchange it for another camera and hope it doesn’t happen again with another camera.

Thanks for your help.

1 Like

Ring flood light cam - installed for 3yrs ago - When in “Live” mode, audio full of background static / white noise and other audio anomolies. No changes made to home, wi-fi. Noticed two weeks ago, but has been a while since last used in that mode.