Indoor cam hiss on playback

Whenever I playback a motion alert from my indoor cam, after about two seconds there is a loud hiss/white noise that all but drowns out any other audio. I have a very good connection; the cam shows an RSSI of around 50.

Is there anything I should try or do I have a faulty unit?

Hey @LesC! Check out our Community post about RSSI for information on optimized signal strength. The sound described sounds like audio feedback from interference during stream, which is often related to connection. Checking the Indoor Cam’s distance from router, as well as proximity to other electronic devices/ appliances, can help to limit wifi interferences.

Mobile phone connection is also worth considering for optimizing performance. Try live viewing on wifi only, or data only, as well as disabling bluetooth or closing any other apps running in the background. Feel free to let us know how this goes! :slight_smile:

Have tried viewing footage form both indoor cam & Ring Doorbell and get same interference form both whether view on phone (via WiFi, data only & with BT off). Viewing via Ring website on PC makes things a lot better but background hiss still audible. Signal strength to indoor cam is very good & to doorbell not bad. Ironically background hiss is far worse on indoor cam. Indoor cam is not near any other electrical items & in same room as router & a Chime Pro to which it is connected.

1 Like

I too, have this same problem, loud white noise that i cannot get rid of. only on recordings not on live veiw.

have moved the cam all over the house and no difference…

not a lot of use for hearing conversations of burgerlars …

RING PLEASE HELP !!!

@LesC wrote:

Have tried viewing footage form both indoor cam & Ring Doorbell and get same interference form both whether view on phone (via WiFi, data only & with BT off). Viewing via Ring website on PC makes things a lot better but background hiss still audible. Signal strength to indoor cam is very good & to doorbell not bad. Ironically background hiss is far worse on indoor cam. Indoor cam is not near any other electrical items & in same room as router & a Chime Pro to which it is connected.

Hi neighbors! If the previously mentioned steps in this thread did not help to resolve this, try performing a reset on the Camera. This can be done by holding the setup button for 20 seconds. If this concern persists after the reset, please give our support team a call at one of the numbers available here. We’re taking additional steps to protect our team and help reduce the spread of COVID-19, so this has resulted in longer than normal wait times. If you are outside of the US, please read our response to COVID-19 here to see how to contact support.

I continue to have the white noise issue on all 3 cameras and the doorbell camera. Since I originally started the thread I’ve upgraded my router and have even better wifi signal strength. Resetting the cameras makes no difference whatsoever. I’ve just learned to live with it as I suspect to most Ring camera owners!